Coconut Panna Cotta with Balsamic Strawberries
I don’t eat dessert too often, but when I do, I’m really not a fan of rich desserts, especially after a big meal. Instead, I prefer a fresh, light dessert to finish off a day of eating. This Panna Cotta is really easy to make and best of all, can be made ahead so serving this special dessert requires no effort at all. Perfect when entertaining a crowd.
2 x 270ml cans of coconut milk, I prefer the Ayam brand (produces the best flavour and the cans are BPA free)
2 teaspoons gelatin powder (I used Great Lakes Grass-fed gelatin)
85g (¼ cup) rice malt syrup or maple syrup
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
400g punnet or strawberries hulled and halved
1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons of rice malt syrup or maple syrup
- Place the coconut milk in a medium sized pot.
- Sprinkle over the gelatin and let it rest for 5 minutes (the gelatin will moisten and go crinkly).
- Pop on a low heat and warm for 3 or 4 minutes, stirring continually to dissolve the gelatin. Take care not to overheat it. It should only warm to body temperature (so you can easily stick your finger in it without burning). Once the gelatin is dissolved, stir in the sweetener and vanilla until combined.
- Grease 4-6 small ramekins with coconut oil and divide the coconut milk mix between them. Pop in the fridge for about 4 hours to set. If you don’t want to invert it, you can serve it after approx. 1 hour.
- An hour before you serve your pannacotta, combine the balsamic and sweetener and mix through your strawberries to marinade.
- You can serve the pannacotta in the dish it is set in. Or, to invert your pannacotta from the mould, sit in a bowl of hot water for 3 seconds, run a knife just around the rim of the mould and invert onto a serving plate.
- Top with berries and a few mint leaves and serve immediately.
Choose rice malt syrup as your sweetener.
Vegetarian and vegan
Choose agar agar to replace the gelatin (I haven’t had a chance to recipe test this)
All of the content here at Well Nourished is FREE to assist you to be the healthiest you can be. But you can help me to build a healthier world, please Share this post with a friend .
You can also support my work by purchasing my ebook “Rise and Shine” – more details here or “The Well Nourished Lunchbox” – more details here.