This moist, grain and gluten-free treat is so easy to make and really delicious. It’s one of my kids favourite after school or weekend snacks, hot out of the oven – yum!
This is a wonderful, protein and nutrient rich sweet treat. I like to try to have a fair bit of variety in my families diet to really extend the nutrients they are consuming and often include naturally gluten-free foods, especially baked goods. My baked treats are always wheat-free (more about why we do our very best to avoid wheat HERE)
1 cup or walnuts or pecan nuts, chopped
20g butter, melted
2 tablespoons sweetener (rice malt syrup, honey or maple syrup)
50g (½ cup) rolled quinoa (flakes)
1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
Pinch sea salt
50g butter, melted
85g (¼ cup) sweetener (rice malt syrup, honey or maple syrup)
1 large organic or free-range egg
150g (1 ½ cups) almond meal
2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
20g (¼ cup) desiccated coconut
1 teaspoon vanilla powder or paste
1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 180℃.
- Start with the streusel. In a small bowl, mix the butter and sweetener until combined. Add the dry ingredients and mix to combine.
- Now for the batter. In a mixing bowl mix the butter, sweetener and egg until well combined. Add the almond meal, arrowroot, coconut, vanilla and baking powder and mix until well combined.
- Line a small loaf tin with baking paper and scrape half of the thick batter into the tin.
- Top with approx. ½ of the streusel mix (use damp hands to spread the sticky mixture across). Then place the rest of the batter on top and finish with the remaining streusel.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes (watch during cooking as with top heating ovens you may need to cover with foil if the topping is growing too fast).
- Start with the streusel. Pulse the nuts to chop using the turbo button 3-4 times and set aside.
- Melt the butter, 1 minute, temp 90, speed 4.
- Add the sweetener and mix, 10 seconds, speed 4.
- Add the quinoa flakes, sea salt, cinnamon and nuts, and mix to combine, reverse, 10 seconds, speed 4.
- Set aside.
- Without washing the bowl, melt the butter 1 minute, temp 90, speed 4.
- Add the sweetener and egg and mix 30 seconds, speed 4.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix 20 seconds, speed 4.
- Go to step 4 above.
Replace the butter with coconut or macadamia nut oil.
No Quinoa flakes
You can substitute with rolled oats if you’d like (though no longer GF).
All of the content here at Well Nourished is FREE to assist you to be the healthiest you can be. But you can help me to build a healthier world, please Share this post with a friend.
You can also support my work by purchasing my ebook “Rise and Shine” – more details HERE or “The Well Nourished Lunchbox” – more details HERE.