Because my kids go to a nut-free school, we often use after school as a time to include the beneficial fats and phytonutrients found in nuts. This Almond Berry Scone Cake is one of my kids favourite after school or weekend snacks. I love it too because it’s easy and quick to make and I have to say, I’m a bit partial to this delicious treat!
It also make a fabulous dessert served with cream or vanilla bean ice-cream.
Take a look at the variations (below the main recipe) for suggestions to alter the recipe to suit your specific dietary requirements (including vegan, egg-free, fructose friendly and more).
If you’re looking to save money across pantry items such as nuts, seeds, flours and meals, I personally shop at My hrefs look as followed: The Wholefood Collective – great whole foods at heavily discounted prices (all home delivered), click HERE to take a look.
Almond Berry Scone Cake
- 50 g coconut oil (¼ cup) melted
- 85 g rice malt syrup, honey or maple syrup (¼ cup)
- 1 free-range or organic eggs
- 150 g almond meal (1½ cups)
- 2 tbsp true arrowroot flour (or tapioca flour)
- 20 g shredded coconut (¼ cup)
- 1 lemon -zest
- 1 tsp vanilla -powder, extract or essence
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 60 g berries (¼ cup) of your choice, fresh or frozen
- Preheat the oven to 180℃/350℉.
- In a food processor or with a hand mixer combine the coconut oil, sweetener and egg. TMX 10 seconds, speed 4.
- Add the almond meal, arrowroot, coconut, lemon zest, vanilla and baking powder and mix until well combined. TMX 20 seconds, speed 4 (scraping the sides)
- Fold the berries into the batter. TMX 10 seconds, reverse speed 1-2.
- Line a small round cake tin with baking paper and scrape the thick batter into the tin.
- Using a wet spoon, gently shape the batter into the base of the tin.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes (until cooked in the middle).
- Serve as is or with a little coconut yoghurt or cultured cream on the side.
- You can also top with slivered or flaked almonds for a nice crunchy top.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.