I love this time of year when the beautiful Queensland mangoes appear at my local farmers market. So, today I thought I’d share a family favourite – a very healthy Asian Mango Salad recipe. As soon as my kids see mangoes in store this is what they request. I make it with both green (as photographed) and regular, sweet mangos. Just make sure that if you are using regular mango, that the flesh is firm and they are not overripe. Overripe fruits are best kept for smoothies.
Why is it so healthy?
As well as containing plant-based (Phyto) nutrients, the mango supports healthy digestion. Lots more antioxidant and phytonutrients are in the vegetables. The cashew nuts add a little protein and good fats. The mint and coriander are very detoxifying and cleansing.
Take a look at the variations (below the main recipe) for suggestions to alter the recipe to suit any specific dietary requirements.
For lots more sides and salad inspo, take a look at my hugely popular ebook ˜Well Nourished Sides and Salads’– where vegetables become the hero of the dish! It’s great value at just $9.95, click HERE to take a look.
Asian Mango Salad
- 1 mango/s (green or regular), julienned
- 1 red capsicum/s -thinly sliced
- 1 red onion/s -small or a bunch of spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 wombok cabbage -or Asian style cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 bunch/s fresh mint leaves -or Vietnamese mint, leaves picked
- 1 bunch/s fresh coriander leaves -leaves picked
- 75 g raw cashew nuts (1 cup) lightly toasted
- 2 kaffir lime leaves -thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 red chilli/s -sliced (optional)
- 2 tbsp fried shallots -to finish
- 1 lime/s -juice and zest
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1-2 tbsp rice malt syrup (or the sweetener of your choice)
- Simply combine all of the salad ingredients in a salad bowl.
- Combine all of the dressing ingredients well (shaking together in a little jar is easiest)- taste it and make sure you are happy with the balance between the sweet / salty / sour flavours. If it is too sour you may like to add a little more fish sauce (saltiness) or sweetener.
- Dress and toss the salad just prior to serving.
- Garnish with the shallots/ optional chilli.