This super quick and easy raw vegan chocolate slice is very nutritious and definitely satisfies the strongest chocolate craving. They are gluten and dairy free – a bit of a change from the dried fruit, high sugar energy balls or bars about. I think they are so delicious – a bit of a cross between a coconut rough and chocolate crackle. There’s something distinctly nostalgic about these beauties.
The almond meal offers good fats and mood elevating amino acids and minerals. The cacao adds antioxidants and the chia seeds, more protein, and omega 3 fatty acids. The coconut oil, for all the wonderful reasons I’ve outlined here and here!
Take a look at the variations (below the main recipe) for suggestions to alter the recipe to suit your specific dietary requirements.
- 100 g almond meal (1 heaped cup)
- 30 g cacao (¼ cup) unsweetened Dutch process or raw
- 85 g rice malt syrup, honey or maple syrup (¼ cup)
- 50 g shredded coconut (1 cup)
- 100 g coconut oil (½ cup)
- 20 g chia seeds (¼ cup) optional
- 1 tbsp vanilla -powder, extract or essence
- 1 tbsp cacao nibs - add a nice crunch
- Pinch sea salt -optional but I quite like a sweet and salty taste
- In a food processor combine on low speed (Thermomix speed 4) the almond meal, sweetener, coconut, coconut oil, chia seeds, cocoa and vanilla until just combined (Thermomix 5 seconds). You can also mix by hand, just make sure the coconut oil is in its liquid form.
- Press the mix into a small lined tray, sprinkle with cacao nibs and salt (you may need to press into the mix with the back of a spoon) and place in the freezer to set for 10-15 minutes.
- Once set, remove from the tin and chop into little squares.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.