This healthy raw chocolate slice recipe is SO rich, delicious and such a simple nourishing, thing to make. They make a wonderful, easy after school snack or weekend sweet treat for those that can tolerate nuts (or a late night chocolate fix)!
The almonds provide mood and energy elevating proteins, minerals and fats. The coconut and oil are amazing for the brain, immune and metabolic health. This is a whole food treat that is very satisfying and tastes amazing!
Take a look at the variations (below the main recipe) for suggestions to alter the recipe to suit your specific dietary requirements.
If you’re looking to save money across pantry items such as nuts, seeds, flours and much more, I personally shop at The Wholefood Collective – great whole foods at heavily discounted prices (all home delivered), click HERE to check them out.
Healthy Chocolate, Almond and Coconut bars
- 300 g almond meal (2½ firmly packed cups)
- 80 g desiccated coconut (1 cup approx.) or shredded
- 130 g nut butter (½ cup) I like the ABC nut spread
- 4 tbsp rice malt syrup, honey or maple syrup -adjust the amount to make these more, or less sweet to suit your taste
- 100 g coconut oil (½ cup)
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 100 g dark chocolate -melted
- Mix all ingredients (except the chocolate) together in a food processor until well combined and forming a rough paste. Thermomix 30 seconds, speed 4.
- Pour into a slice tin lined with baking paper.
- Refrigerate until set (about an hour).
- Once set, melt the chocolate in a bowl placed over a pot of simmering water, stirring continually. Spread evenly with a spatula over the almond mix and refrigerate again until the chocolate is just set (10 minutes). You an also melt chocolate in the thermomix (see basic cookbook for directions).
- Remove from the tin and slice into small bars.
- Remember to keep these in the fridge or freezer. As with any raw coconut oil based product, they'll melt if not kept cold!
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.