This Chocolate Breakfast Smoothie is a high fibre, protein rich, sustaining start to the day. It takes minutes to make so there is no reason at all to buy the heavily processed, nutritionally void varieties of breakfast drinks I have written about here.
If the convenience of a boxed drink is necessary, why not serve it in a sipper cup with a stainless steel straw. Same same but actually good for you!
Avocado is a fibre rich source of potassium and healthy monounsaturated fat (amongst many other things). It’s anti-inflammatory and supports heart, brain, and eye health. The nuts and seeds contribute more fibre, protein, and good fats. The cacao is a source of health-giving antioxidants. The natural yogurt is important for digestive health and a good quality cow’s milk contributes protein and many important fat-soluble vitamins and minerals. For more about the health benefits and best choices in yoghurt click here.
Take a look at the variations (below the main recipe) for suggestions to alter the recipe to suit your specific dietary requirements.
If you’re looking to save money across pantry items such as nuts, seeds, flours and nut meals, I personally shop at The Wholefood Collective – great whole foods at heavily discounted prices (all home delivered), click HERE to take a look.
Chocolate Breakfast Smoothie (that will really get you up and on the go)
- 2 tbsp cacao (unsweetened Dutch process or raw)
- ½ avocado -flesh scooped out
- 250 ml milk (1 cup) of your choice
- 60 g full-fat natural yoghurt (¼ cup)
- 2 tbsp LSA (or almond or hazelnut meal)
- 3 tbsp rice malt syrup or maple syrup -more or less to taste
- Simply place all of the ingredients in a powerful blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Serve over ice (or blend trhough with ice if you prefer). Can't be more simple than that!
- Leftovers can be frozen into little cups or ice-block moulds for a snack another day.