My kids love to make these Chocolate Fudge Ice Blocks in the summer and I love that they are enjoying a ‘healthy’ and nourishing treat. We’ve made lots of simple chocolate based ice blocks over the years but the ones with avocado have always been favourites. I think because it adds a fudge-like texture, and of course I’m not complaining, it’s a welcome inclusions as far as I’m concerned.
The avocado is an incredibly nutrient-dense food and a great source of mono-unsaturated fats which will keep your kids satisfied for longer. The coconut offers immune support.
Take a look at the variations (below the main recipe) for suggestions to alter the recipe to suit many specific dietary requirements.
The avocado in these Chocolate Fudge Ice-blocks adds a lovely fudge-y consistency plus a hit of nourishment.
- 1 perfectly ripe avocado flesh
- 1 cup of coconut milk (I used Ayam brand)
- ½ cup cacao powder
- ¼ cup sweetener (rice malt syrup, coconut nectar or maple syrup)
- ⅔ cup coconut water
- In a high speed blender or Thermomix blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into ice block moulds and freeze until set. If you don't have moulds, pour into little cups, poke in a popsicle stick and freeze.
Substitute with your preferred dairy or dairy-free milk.
Choose rice malt syrup as your sweetener.
Substitute carob powder.
Hope your family likes these as much as we do!