My kids love to make these Chocolate Fudge Ice Blocks in the summer and I love that they are enjoying a ‘healthy’ and nourishing treat. We’ve made lots of simple chocolate based ice blocks over the years but the ones with avocado have always been favourites. I think because it adds a fudge-like texture, and of course I’m not complaining, it’s a welcome inclusions as far as I’m concerned.
The avocado is an incredibly nutrient-dense food and a great source of mono-unsaturated fats which will keep your kids satisfied for longer. The coconut offers immune support.
Take a look at the variations (below the main recipe) for suggestions to alter the recipe to suit many specific dietary requirements.
Chocolate Fudge Ice-blocks
- 1 avocado/s -flesh
- 270 ml canned coconut milk (I used Ayam brand)
- 60 g cacao (½ cup) unsweetened Dutch process or raw
- 85 g rice malt syrup, honey or maple syrup (¼ cup)
- 160 ml coconut water (⅔ cup)
- In a high speed blender or Thermomix blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into ice block moulds and freeze until set. If you don't have moulds, pour into little cups, poke in a popsicle stick and freeze.
Coconut-freeSubstitute with your preferred dairy or dairy-free milk.
Low-fructoseChoose rice malt syrup as your sweetener.
Cacao-freeSubstitute carob powder.
VeganChoose rice malt or maple syrup as your sweetener.
Hope your family likes these as much as we do!