Following on from my ‘Water‘ post yesterday, I thought I’d share the anti-oxidant loaded, coconut water smoothie I made myself for a nutritious, healthy, fast breakfast this morning. Between getting my kids fed and to running club by 7am, as well as organising a hundred other things in preparation for the day ahead- let’s just say I didn’t have the luxury of sitting down to breakfast. This is also a nourishing, healthy snack and I always make this for my kids prior to sports events or if they’ve had a very active day.
I love the taste of coconut water though I know a few people who just don’t. So if you want to benefit from the impressive mineral profile and hydration of coconut water – without the taste, then try it in a coconut berry smoothie. The berries give you an antioxidant boost of note and the LSA (or almond meal) adds protein and good fats to keep you full for longer.
Take a look at the variations (below the main recipe) for suggestions to alter the recipe to suit your specific dietary requirements.
Coconut Berry Ice
- 350 ml coconut water
- 100 g berries (1 cup) fresh or frozen
- 1-2 tbsp LSA -or almond meal
- 1 tsp vanilla -powder, extract or essence
- 2 tbsp full-fat natural yoghurt
- 1 banana
Make a meal of it
- 2 tbsp homemade toasted muesli
- Throw it all into a blender or food processor and process at the highest speed until smooth.
- If your berries are not frozen, add a little ice also.
- Leftovers can be frozen into little cups or ice-block moulds for a snack another day.