This Creamy Kale Sweet Potato Soup is a deliciously hearty soup that will warm and comfort the body. Made from simple ingredients, the combination of anti-inflammatory spices, collagen and protein-rich bone broth will nourish your gut. Nutrient dense and fibre-packed from the lentils, nuts and vegetables, it’s a super soup for sure.
For all you need to know about bone broth and how to make it click here. I love having broth ready in my fridge or freezer so that I can whip up a nourishing soup any time it is needed.
Take a look at the variations below the main recipes to adjust the recipe to suit your dietary requirements and taste.
Creamy Kale Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 tbsp coconut oil – or olive oil
- 1 onion/s – diced
- 4 clove/s garlic – crushed
- 1 tbsp ginger root – finely grated
- 500 g sweet potato/s – diced 2-3cm
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper – to taste
- 1 L stock or broth – of any kind (chicken or vegetable)
- ⅓ cup split red lentils
- ½ lemon/s – juice & zest
- 1 bunch/s kale
- 400 ml canned coconut milk – full fat
- ¼ cup raw cashew nuts – toasted
- fresh coriander leaves – optional, to serve
- Chilli flakes – optional, to serve
- In a large pot, melt the coconut oil over a moderate heat and add the onion. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger and saute for another minute.
- Add the sweet potato, spices and seasoning and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the stock or broth and lentils and bring to a rolling simmer for 10-15 mins or until the lentils have softened.
- Add the lemon zest, tear the kale from the stems and add to the soup with the coconut milk. Heat for a couple of minutes to wilt the kale.
- Stir through the lemon juice. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- With optional cashews, coriander leaves and chilli flakes.
- This is pictured with the sourdough starter flatbread recipe.
- Re-heat in a pot over a low heat until just hot.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.