Well there’s a distinct change in the weather, even here in sunny Queensland with a little bit of a chill in the air in the evening and morning. Autumn and winter are my favourite seasons here on the Gold Coast, the skies are blue, the days are dry and sunny – way more comfortable for this old girl than the humidity of our summer (now I’m sounding like my mother ha ha).
Which brings me to this budget friendly, quick and easy to make, nourishing soup. It’s a little winter warmer to mark the change in season as I LOVE me a bowl of soup.
I actually developed this recipe recently to support a great community program by The Fruit Box called The One Box – where fresh produce is purchased directly from local markets and suppliers and distributed to families doing it tough. I worked with a list of the ingredients available in the box and I came up with four recipes (using at least four ingredients available in the box – depending on seasonal availability). The Fruit Box then print my recipes onto beautiful designed recipe cards and distribute with the box. So the families receiving the food boxes not only get a box full of nourishment, but some recipe inspiration to turn the goodies into a delicious, nourishing meal.
So for this recipe, the ingredients I chose from what was available were onion, celery, potato and milk…and this simple soup was born!
Take a look at the variations (below the main recipe) for suggestions to alter the recipe to suit your specific dietary requirements. I’ve also included a Thermomix method for you too.
Creamy Potato Apple Soup
- 30 g butter or olive oil
- 1 large onion/s -peeled and roughly diced
- 2 clove/s garlic -peeled and sliced
- 2 stick/s celery -cut into pieces
- 2 potatoe/s (medium) (approx. 300g) peeled and diced
- 1 sweet potato/s (small) (approx. 100g) peeled and diced
- 2 Granny Smith apples (small) (approx.100g) peeled and diced
- 370 ml chicken stock or bone broth (1½ cups) or vegetable stock
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper -to taste
- 60 ml milk (¼ cup) of your choice
- In a large pot add the butter or oil with the onion, garlic and celery. Sauté over a low to medium heat for 5 minutes or so until the onion starts to soften.
- Add the potatoes, sweet potato, apples and broth or stock. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a high simmer. Cook until the potato is soft and falls apart (when skewered with a knife or fork).
- Allow to cool a little, add the milk and blend with a stick blender or in blender or food processor until smooth and creamy.
- Chop the onion, garlic and celery 5 seconds speed 5.
- Add the butter or olive oil and cook 5 mins, 100, speed 1.
- Add the potatoes, sweet potatoes, apple and broth or stock.
- Cook 15 mins, speed spoon, 100.
- Remove the lid and allow to cool for 15 minutes. Add the milk and blend 30 seconds, speed 5-6 (take care to gradually increase the speed).
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.
Dairy-freeChoose olive oil and a nut milk.
Vegetarian and veganUse vegetable stock and for vegan the dairy-free variations.
Onion-freeReplace the onion with fennel, finely chopped and sautéed as above.
Garlic-freeReplace the garlic with a pinch of cumin and cayenne pepper.
I'd love to hear how you enjoyed this soup. You can post a comment below and let me know.