These Cumin Scrambled Eggs with Yoghurt, Green Olives and Flatbread is a breakfast that my hubby often makes on the weekend, at least the scrambled egg part. It’s become our new family favourite breakfast and is the next of my recipes to feature on JamieOliver.com – it’s my spin on Jamie’s Silky Masala Eggs.
I think the flavours of the cumin scrambled egg with the yoghurt (or labne), green olives and olive oil are a match made in heaven.
Take a look at the variations (below the main recipe) for suggestions to alter the recipe to suit any specific dietary requirements.
If you’re looking to save money across pantry items such as nuts, seeds, flours and meals, I personally shop at The Wholefood Collective – great whole foods at heavily discounted prices (all home delivered), click HERE to take a look.
My Cumin Scrambled Eggs, with Yoghurt, Green Olives and Flatbread is a delicious and nourishing breakfast or anytime meal. My whole family adore this recipe
- 1½ cups wholemeal spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or melted butter/ghee
- ¼ cup water
- Butter or olive oil to cook with
- 8-10 large free-range or organic eggs
- ¼ cup full-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric, ground
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup labne (or thickset full-fat natural or Greek yoghurt)
- 8 Sicilian green olives
- Extra virgin olive oil, to serve
- Lemon wedges, to serve (optional)
- Start with the flatbread. Combine spelt flour and salt in a large bowl. Add the olive oil and mix with your fingers until it’s crumbly (you can also do this in a food processor or Thermomix, 10 sec speed 5). Slowly add water and mix until the dough just comes together (TMX 10 seconds, speed 3). If the dough doesn't come together easily, mix in a little more water, teaspoon by teaspoon.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until the dough is smooth and no longer sticks to your fingers, about 2 minutes. (TMX flour symbol, 2 minutes). Cover with a damp cloth and let it rest for 15 and up to 30 minutes.
- Whilst your flat breads are resting - in a large bowl or jug whisk the eggs, milk, cumin, turmeric, sea salt and black pepper until the eggs are frothy. Set aside.
- Plate up your labne or yoghurt, making a little well in the middle of it to hold a little olive oil. Add the Sicilian green olives and some leafy greens (dressed with olive oil, sea salt and pepper).
- Divide the dough into 8 balls. Lightly flour a rolling pin and a clean work surface. Flatten and roll it out, picking it up and rotating it to make sure it isn't sticking, until quite thin and about 15cm in diameter. Repeat with the remaining dough, placing them on baking sheets so they don't touch.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat and rub with a little butter or oil to coat the cooking surface. Add the flat bread and cook for about 30 seconds to 1 minute each side until slightly puffed. Wrap them in a clean tea-towel to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining breads, stacking and covering them as you go to keep them warm and pliable.
- Once the flat bread is cooked, heat a little more oil or butter in the pan and pour in your eggs, folding the mixture over with a wooden spoon. Remove as soon a the egg is just set, taking care not to over cook.
- Add the scrambled eggs and flat bread to the plates and serve immediately.
- I love to serve with wedges of lemon.
Sub the yogurt for coconut yoghurt,omit the milk in the scramble and choose olive oil to cook in/ for the flat bread.
Sub the spelt for a good quality gluten-free ‘bread’ flour.