This moist, grain and gluten-free treat is so easy to make and really delicious. It’s one of my kids favourite after school or weekend snacks, hot out of the oven – yum!
This is a wonderful, protein and nutrient rich sweet treat. I like to try to have a fair bit of variety in my families diet to really extend the nutrients they are consuming and often include naturally gluten-free foods, especially baked goods. My baked treats are always wheat-free (more about why we do our very best to avoid wheat HERE)
Take a look at the variations (below the main recipe) for suggestions to alter the recipe to suit many specific dietary requirements.
If you’re looking to save money across pantry items such as nuts, seeds, flours and meals, I personally shop at The Wholefood Collective – great whole foods at heavily discounted prices (and home delivered), click HERE to take a look.
- 125 g walnuts or pecan nuts (1 cup) chopped
- 20 g butter -melted
- 2 tbsp rice malt syrup, honey or maple syrup
- 50 g rolled / flaked quinoa (½ cup)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch sea salt
- 50 g butter -melted
- 85 g rice malt syrup, honey or maple syrup (¼ cup)
- 1 free-range or organic egg/s
- 150 g almond meal (1½ cups)
- 2 tbsp true arrowroot flour
- 20 g desiccated coconut (¼ cup)
- 1 tsp vanilla -powder, extract or essence
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 180℃/350°F (fan-forced).
- Start with the streusel. In a small bowl, mix the butter and sweetener until combined. Add the dry ingredients and mix to combine.
- Now for the batter. In a mixing bowl mix the butter, sweetener and egg until well combined. Add the almond meal, arrowroot, coconut, vanilla and baking powder and mix until well combined.
- Line a small loaf tin with baking paper and scrape half of the thick batter into the tin.
- Top with approx. ½ of the streusel mix (use damp hands to spread the sticky mixture across). Then place the rest of the batter on top and finish with the remaining streusel.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes (watch during cooking as with top heating ovens, you may need to cover with foil if the topping is browning too fast).
- Start with the streusel. Pulse the nuts to chop using the turbo button 3-4 times and set aside.
- Melt the butter, 1 minute, temp 90, speed 4.
- Add the sweetener and mix, 10 seconds, speed 4.
- Add the quinoa flakes, sea salt, cinnamon and nuts, and mix to combine, reverse, 10 seconds, speed 4.
- Set aside.
- Without washing the bowl, melt the butter 1 minute, temp 90, speed 4.
- Add the sweetener and egg and mix 30 seconds, speed 4.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix 20 seconds, speed 4.
- Go to step 4 above.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.