This delicious breakfast Granola with Chai Spiced Nut Clusters is a mouthwatering combination of flavours and textures and my latest twist on Jamie Oliver’s ‘recipes to save your life.’
It’s such an honour to be selected by JamieOliver.com to put my spin on 10 of Jamie’s recipes. He has always been one of my favourite foodies and such an inspiration to me. Check out all 10 of the fabulous brekkie recipes here.
If you’re after more than muesli or cereal for brekkie, check out my fabulous collection of healthy, delicious breakfast recipes that take 5-10 minutes to make (yes, in the real world), click HERE.
So here it is, my spin on Jamie’s DIY Oaty Fruit Cereal….I hope you enjoy it!
Take a look at the variations (below the main recipe) for suggestions to alter the recipe to suit many specific dietary requirements.
If you’re looking to save money across pantry items such as nuts, seeds, flours and meals, I personally shop at The Wholefood Collective – great whole foods at heavily discounted prices (all home delivered), click HERE to take a look.
A wholesome breakfast such as this is so important to ensure good mood, energy, concentration and focus throughout the day. There is nothing in a cereal box that is good enough, so spend a little time every now and then and make a batch of my Granola with Chai Spiced Nut Clusters to keep in the pantry for a great start to the day.
- 3 cups nuts (I used almonds, macadamias, pecans, cashews and hazelnuts)
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, ground
- 2 teaspoons cardamon, ground
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- ½ teaspoon cloves, ground
- Pinch sea salt
- 6 tablespoons sweetener (maple syrup, honey or rice malt syrup)
- 3 cups rolled oats (or you could use quinoa and millet flakes for gluten-free)
- 2 cups of shredded coconut
- Pre-heat your oven to 180℃.
- In a small bowl mix all of the spices to make a chai spice mix.
- Take two baking trays.
- Line one of the baking trays with a silicon coated baking paper (I use 'If You Care' brand). To this add your nuts and sesame seeds and toast in your preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and add half the spice mix. Toss to coat the nuts.
- Now drizzle with 3 tablespoons of sweetener so that most of the nuts and seeds are coated.
- In the second baking tray place the oats (or GF flaked grain), coconut, remaining spice mix and toss to mix.
- Drizzle with the remaining 3 tablespoons of sweetener.
- Bake both trays for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow the nuts to cool completely.
- Stir the oat/coconut mix and bake for another 10 minutes or until toasted to your liking.
- Once they are cool, break the nuts up into clusters and mix through the toasted oats/coconut.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a month.
Gluten and grain-free
Substitute the oats with rolled quinoa flakes.
Choose rice malt syrup as your sweetener.
Substitute the coconut flakes for more nuts, seeds and/or oats or quinoa flakes.
Choose rice malt as your sweetener.
Choose rice malt or maple syrup as your sweetener.
Replace the sesame seeds with another seed or nuts.