I love creating healthy, delicious salads. Gone are the days of iceberg lettuce, tomato and cucumber salads! So with the season of summer BBQ’s in mind, I thought I’d share this divine, colourful flavour combo.
Lots of plant-based goodness here! The Spinach is loaded with fibre, antioxidants and to many vitamins and minerals to list. The basil contains many essential vitamins, minerals and antioxidant flavonoids, two of which have been shown to protect cells and DNA from radiation. Asparagus contains anti-inflammatory and detoxifying compounds and as a rich source of chromium, is perfect for helping sugar cravings. The haloumi adds a little protein and deliciousness!
This delicious Haloumi, Asparagus and Strawberry Salad is sure to impress - such a cracking combination of flavours.
- 120g baby spinach leaves, washed
- Handful basil leaves, washed and picked off the stems
- 10-15 snow peas, trimmed
- Small bunch asparagus, halved
- 1 small punnet strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 180 g haloumi, sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- Zest of a small lemon
- 1 tablespoon of aged balsamic vinegar*
- ¼ cup lemon infused olive oil (can sub regular extra virgin olive oil)
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- *If you only have regular balsamic, mix it with 1 teaspoon of maple or rice malt syrup
In a frypan or a griddle, cook your asparagus over a low heat in a little olive oil. Once just cooked (take care not to overcook), set aside to cool.
Now cook your haloumi on both sides until golden and crisp.
On a large serving plate or platter arrange your baby spinach, strawberries, snow peas and asparagus and top with the grilled haloumi.
To make the dressing, simply combine all ingredients together in jar or jug and shake/mix well.
Dress just prior to serving.