I’m always looking for shortcuts in the kitchen so many of my ‘bliss ball’ types of recipes often become slices, and my cup cakes often become big cakes! I don’t do fiddly so well but at Christmas time, I am happy to put in just a little extra effort. So whilst with this recipe you definitely can use store bought hazelnut meal, I personally love to roast the hazelnuts first – it just lends an incredible flavour to this treat.
Take a look at the variations (below the main recipe) for suggestions to alter the recipe to suit many specific dietary requirements.
If you’re looking to save money across pantry items such as nuts, seeds, flours and meals, I personally shop at The Wholefood Collective – great whole foods at heavily discounted prices (and home delivered), click HERE to take a look.
Choc Hazelnut Truffles
- 200 g hazelnut meal (2 cups) hazelnuts roasted or dehydrated, skins rubbed off and then ground to a meal, taking care not to over grind it so it becomes oily or nut butter!
- 80 g rice malt syrup, honey or maple syrup (¼ cup)
- 100 g shredded coconut (2 cup)
- 100 g coconut oil (½ cup) melted
- 20 g cacao -unsweetened Dutch process or raw
- 1 tbsp vanilla -powder, extract or essence
- 15 g cacao -to coat them (1 tbsp)
- 3 tbsp desiccated coconut -to coat them
- In a food processor combine on low speed (Thermomix speed 4) the hazelnut meal, sweetener, coconut, coconut oil, cocoa and vanilla until just combined (Thermomix 5 seconds). You can also mix by hand, just make sure the coconut oil is in its liquid form.
- You are aiming for a mixture that rolls into small balls easily, so if it's too dry add a little more coconut oil or sweetener, if too wet, add more hazelnut meal.
- Mix the extra cacao and coconut together in a small bowl and roll each of the balls to coat.
- Place on a tray (in a single layer) and pop in the freezer to set.
- They can be made weeks ahead in preparation for Christmas Day.
- These must be kept chilled or they will melt on a warm day. I often double this recipe to make a bigger batch (trust me, you’ll be wanting more)!
- Store airtight in the freezer until ready to serve.