This healthy chocolate cookie recipe can form the base for a healthy version of an oreo, mint slice or you can even use it to make tiny teddies (you’ll just need to source a tiny teddy cookie cutter). It is a great, additive-free option for kids that are accustomed to a sweet treat in their lunch box and it’s very quick and simple to make. It can also be frozen in an airtight container and popped straight into the lunch box. These make great party treats too.
Take a look at the variations (below the main recipe) for suggestions to alter the recipe to suit many specific dietary requirements.
If you’re looking to save money across pantry items such as nuts, seeds, flours and meals, I personally shop at The Wholefood Collective – great whole foods at heavily discounted prices (all home delivered), click HERE to take a look.
Healthy Chocolate cookie recipe (aka Oreos, Mint Slice or Tiny Teddies)
- 120 g wholemeal spelt flour (1 cup) see gluten-free below
- 30 g cacao (¼ cup) unsweetened Dutch process or raw
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla -powder, extract or essence
- 50 g coconut oil (¼ cup) or macadamia nut oil
- 30 ml milk (2 tablespoons) of your choice
- 85 g rice malt syrup or maple syrup (¼ cup) the maple syrup will produce a sweeter cookie
- Preheat your oven to 150℃/300°F (fan forced).
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, cacao powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- In a blender or food processor, mix the vanilla, oil, milk and syrup until well combined. Thermomix 30 sec, speed 4.
- Add the wet to the dry ingredients and mix together until dough forms. Thermomix 30 sec, speed 4 or until combined.
- Roll into a ball, wrap in cling wrap or baking paper and refrigerate for 30-60 minutes.
- Place the dough between two pieces of baking paper and roll to approximately 2-3 millimetres thick. Cut rounds with a cookie cutter, place on a lined or greased baking tray and bake for 10 minutes.
- Leave on the tray until completely cooled and add a filling or eat as they are. Either way, they are really good!
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.