Who doesn’t like a good roast or BBQ chicken? This healthy roast chicken marinade recipe is so simple you will never buy a pre-cooked, take away chicken again. Gluten, sugar, additive and vegetable oil free, you will not be disappointed – it’s perfection on a plate!
A budget and time friendly organic meal, lunch, and healing broth…
I pay less than $20 for a large whole organic chicken. With it, I make a roast chook for dinner most Sunday nights and I have plenty of leftover meat for healthy school lunches during the week. For a very large family, you might like to roast two chickens at once.
I then use the carcass and all of the leftover bones to make a super healing, flu busting, gut healing, pain reducing bone broth – waste not want not! Get your ‘too easy’ bone broth recipe here.
Take a look at the variations (below the main recipe) for suggestions to alter the recipe to suit many specific dietary requirements.
Healthy Roast Chicken Marinade - Take away style
Marinade ingredients (for one large chicken)
- 50 g butter or macadamia nut oil (¼ cup)
- 1 tbsp rice malt syrup or honey
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp sea salt
- Ground black pepper -to taste
- In a small bowl, mix the ingredients together until well combined.
- Baste your chicken all over with half of the mix.
- Place your chicken breast side up in a preheated oven or on a rotisserie if you have one.
- After 30 minutes of cooking, remove from the oven and baste again with the remaining marinade.
- Return to the oven and roast until the chicken is cooked to perfection.
- The time this takes will vary depending on the size of your chicken, but work off 30 minutes per 500gram at 180℃/350°F.
- Once cooked, rest the chicken for 5-10 minutes uncovered, then carve and enjoy!
- Add lots of vegetables and also slices of lemon to your roasting dish too. You may also like to stuff your chook? I personally keep it quick and simple and wedge lemon pieces and any herbs I can rummage from my herb garden.
- Toni messaged me on Facebook to say she had slow cooked this with a 10/10 husband and kids rated result! She cooked it for 8 hours on low, basting it with the marinade every 2-3 hours with great success. A great option if you like to slow cook!
- Re-heat in a low oven (covered) until just hot.