This Kim Chi Fried Brown Rice is such a versatile meal that my family loves for dinner, breakfast or as leftovers (cold) in their school lunches…aka fried rice salad. It’s so quick and easy to make and the addition of the kim chi balances out the flavours beautifully.
Sometimes, if I’m cooking brown rice, say for a curry for dinner, I’ll cook extra so I can make this for breakfast the next morning.
Did you know that half of the daily calories for half of the world’s population come from rice? For many of the oldest living people in the world, brown rice is a dietary staple being a low allergenic, high fibre and nutrient rich food. Combined with protein from the eggs and more plant based goodness from the veggies and kim chi, this is one nourishing meal.
Take a look at the variations (below the main recipe) for suggestions to alter the recipe to suit your specific dietary requirements.
If you’re looking to save money across pantry items such as rice (I love their brown basmati for this dish), nuts, seeds, flours and more, I personally shop at The Wholefood Collective – great whole foods at heavily discounted prices (all home delivered), click HERE to take a look.
Kim Chi Fried Brown Rice
- 1 tbsp peanut oil or olive oil
- 3 free-range or organic eggs -beaten
- 2 rashers bacon -diced (see vegetarian variation below)
- 1 red onion -peeled and finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic -crushed
- 2 tbsp ginger root -finely grated
- 2 carrots -peeled and diced
- ½ broccoli -cut into small pieces
- 3 cups leftover cooked brown rice -which works out approx. 1 cup raw
- 12 snow peas -trimmed and sliced
- 4 tbsp kim chi
- 2 spring onions -white part sliced thinly
Sauce (mix these 3 ingredients together)
- 2 tbsp tamari -or coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar or rapadura
- In a non-stick or cast iron pan or wok, add a splash of oil. Heat over a low to moderate heat and add your eggs, stirring to scramble them. Set aside once firm.
- Add your bacon and red onion to the pan and stir until the onion just starts to soften. Add the garlic, ginger, carrots and broccoli and stir-fry for another 2 mins.
- Next add the rice, sauce, egg and snow peas. Stir-fry for another 5 minutes until the vegetables start to soften.
- Divide between four bowls and top each with a tablespoon of kim chi.
- Garnish with spring onions and enjoy.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Can also be frozen.