This Kim Chi Fried Brown Rice is such a versatile meal that my family loves for dinner, breakfast or as leftovers (cold) in their school lunches…aka fried rice salad. It’s so quick and easy to make and the addition of the kim chi balances out the flavours beautifully.
Sometimes, if I’m cooking brown rice, say for a curry for dinner, I’ll cook extra so I can make this for breakfast the next morning.
Did you know that half of the daily calories for half of the world’s population come from rice? For many of the oldest living people in the world, brown rice is a dietary staple being a low allergenic, high fibre and nutrient rich food. Combined with protein from the eggs and more plant based goodness from the veggies and kim chi, this is one nourishing meal.
Take a look at the variations (below the main recipe) for suggestions to alter the recipe to suit your specific dietary requirements.
If you’re looking to save money across pantry items such as rice (I love their brown basmati for this dish), nuts, seeds, flours and more, I personally shop at The Wholefood Collective – great whole foods at heavily discounted prices (all home delivered), click HERE to take a look.
Fried Rice is such a quick and easy meal that my whole family loves. The kim chi adds a really nice acidity and is great for supporting digestive health.
- Splash peanut or olive oil
- 3 free-range or organic eggs, beaten
- 2 rashers bacon, diced (see vegetarian variation below)
- 1 red onion, peeled & finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoon finely grated ginger
- 2 large carrots, peeled & diced
- ½ head broccoli, cut into small pieces
- 3 cups cooked brown rice (which works out approx. 1 cup raw)
- 12 snow peas, trimmed & sliced
- 4 tablespoon kim chi
- 2 spring onions, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoon tamari (or coconut aminos)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar or rapadura
- In a non-stick or cast iron pan or wok, add a splash of oil. Heat over a low to moderate heat and add your eggs, stirring to scramble them. Set aside once firm.
- Add your bacon and red onion to the pan and stir until the onion just starts to soften. Add the garlic, ginger, carrots and broccoli and stir-fry for another 2 mins.
- Next add the rice, sauce, egg and snow peas. Stir-fry for another 5 minutes until the vegetables start to soften.
Divide between four bowls and top each with a tablespoon of kim chi.
Garnish with spring onions and enjoy.
Omit the bacon. You might like to add in slices of tempeh or firm tofu.
Replace the eggs with ½ cup soft tofu and scramble this as you do the eggs.
Combine the vegetarian and egg-free variations.
Onion and garlic-free
Replace the onion, garlic and sprinkle onion with a small bulb of fennel, finely diced and a small red chilli.
Nut and sesame-free
Replace the peanut oil and sesame oil with olive oil or ghee.
Replace the coconut sugar with rice malt or stevia.
Change up the protein and/or vegetables to suit your taste or dietary goals.
I'd love to hear how you enjoy this delicious, family friendly meal. Let me know, post a comment and rate the recipe below!