My mum has always been a great cook; well except for a short time when she was following the Pritikin Diet. She stopped cooking in fat and if you’ve ever eaten a roast chicken, skin removed and cooked in nothing but water, you’ll know just how awful it is – chicken and potatoes definitely need fat and salt to taste good! As you can tell, I’m a little scarred by that fat-free stage of my childhood!
Anyway, on a recent trip to Perth mum cooked me delicious dinners many nights, but this one was a standout. She threw it together (like me she’s a freestyler in the kitchen) and it was delicious.
I just knew I had to share this one with you because it’s budget friendly, really easy to make and tastes divine. My whole family adored it when I recipe tested it, so here it is – my mum’s Lemon Chicken!
Take a look at the variations (below the main recipe) for suggestions to alter the recipe to suit your specific dietary requirements.
Mums Lemon Chicken
- 12 chicken drumsticks (or Marylands)
- 2 tbsp butter, ghee or coconut oil
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp rice malt syrup or honey
- 2 red onion/s -peeled and diced
- 250 ml chicken stock or bone broth (1 cup)
- 2 clove/s garlic -peeled and sliced
- 2 stick/s celery -diced
- 2 carrot/s -sliced
- 2 potato/s (Dutch cream or Kipfler) peeled and roughly diced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp fresh turmeric -grated (or ½ teaspoon dried)
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary leaves -chopped (or ½ teaspoon dried)
- Pinch Chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 lemon/s (large) -sliced into about 8 wedges
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper -to taste
- Preheat your oven to 180℃ / 350℉ (fan-forced).
- In a big bowl, toss the chicken with the sweetener, paprika and a pinch of sea salt to coat it.
- Place a large baking dish (I use a cast iron one) on your stove top and over a low to moderate heat, sauté the onion in a little butter to ghee (or olive oil for dairy-free) until just translucent.
- Push it to the side (away from the heat), turn up the heat and brown your chicken on all sides. Remove from the heat.
- Add the bone broth, garlic, celery, carrots, potatoes, cumin, turmeric, rosemary and optional chilli flakes.
- Gently mix it through the chicken and season again if needed.
- Arrange the lemon wedges, flesh side down between the pieces of chicken.
- Pop in the preheated oven and bake for 1 hour.
Serve with all of the delicious pan juices...
- On a bed of greens (they will wilt under the casserole).
- With fresh parsley or peas. I love a green hit with any meal.
- On cauliflower rice, quinoa or rice (for gluten-free) or cous cous (if okay with gluten).
- Over mashed potato or sweet potato.
Extra fast, lazy version
- Just throw it all in the roasting pan and straight into the oven. You may need to pop it under the grill prior to serving to crisp up and brown the chicken.
- Re-heat (covered) in a low oven until just hot.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Can also be frozen.