A satisfying meal for me is always about serving a variety of flavours and textures. Whilst I enjoy a small serving of protein, I love to load my plate with loads of plant derived goodness. This Lemon Mustard Lentils, Cauliflower, Carrots, Kale is a super tasty side or a nourishing vegan meal.
If you look closely at the diets of long living cultures around the world, the one thing they have in common is that they all include lots of vegetables in their diets as well as beans, pulses and legumes. Puy lentils are a brilliant source of protein, fibre and many phytochemicals that help to prevent disease. Combined with three veg, spices and olive oil, this really is a very nourishing dish.
If you’d like more inspiration for interesting ways to make veggies shine in all their deliciousness, take a look at my ebook Well Nourished Sides and Salads. It’s just $9.95 and full of goodness that the whole family will love. Click HERE to find out more.
Take a look at the variations (below the main recipe) for suggestions to alter the recipe to suit any specific dietary requirements.
If you’re looking to save money across pantry items such as lentils, nuts, seeds, flours and meals, I personally shop at The Wholefood Collective – great whole foods at heavily discounted prices (all home delivered), click HERE to take a look.
Lemon Mustard Lentils, Cauliflower, Carrots and Kale
- 400 g cauliflower (approx. half head)
- 400 g Dutch carrots -peeled & trimmed to leave 2cm stem
- 1½ cups cooked Puy lentils (see legume-free below)
- 1 bunch kale -leaves stripped off the stems & torn
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp olive oil -extra virgin
- 1 tbsp honey (or maple syrup for vegan)
- 1 lemon/s -zest
- 4 tbsp olive oil -extra virgin
- 1 lemon/s (large) juice and zest
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- Ground black pepper -to taste
- 1 clove/s garlic -crushed
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Make the marinade by grinding the mustard seeds using a mortar and pestle (or high speed blender) until the seeds are almost ground. Add the remaining marinade ingredients and mix until combined.
- Break the cauliflower into florets and add to a bowl with the carrots. Add the mustard marinade and combine thoroughly so that all the vegetables are coated.
- Spread the vegetables out on a baking tray in a single layer and roast for 40 mins, or until the vegetables are tender and just beginning to brown.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing. Place all of the ingredients into a jar and shake to combine.
- Place the cooked lentils and kale in a serving dish. Pour the dressing over the lentils and kale and toss well. Sit at room temperature whilst the vegetables continue to cook.
- When the vegetables are ready, toss them through the lentils/ kale and serve immediately.
- You can also make this ahead. Store in the fridge and allow to come down to room temperature prior to serving.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.