It’s definitely that time of year to break out my stainless steel Onyx popsicle moulds and whip up a batch of ice-blocks. These Mango, Coconut and Lime Ice Blocks are not only a healthy snack or treat, they are so very convenient. They take just minutes to make and they are a nutritious grab and go snack. My son often helps himself to an ice-block on his way to nippers training, either at 5am (which I encourage because otherwise he has a smoothie which wakes the entire house up) or before his arvo sessions.
Mangoes are a fabulous source of fibre, protective micro-nutrients and anti-oxidants. A pilot study found that eating mango was effective in improving constipation and good gut bacteria. Like its other cruciferous cousins, cauliflower is a rich source of many micronutrients (vitamins and minerals, especially folate and Vitamin C) and bursting with fibre. It also contains glucosinolates (sulphur containing plant chemicals) many of which have been researched for their promising anti-cancer properties and ability to support liver detoxification. Turmeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory and immune supportive herb.
Remember to take a look at the variations (below the main recipe). Here, you’ll find suggestions to alter the recipe to suit your dietary goals (gluten, dairy-free, vegan and fructose friendly).
Mango, Lime and Coconut Ice Blocks
- 2 mangos -flesh
- 1 lime -juice and zest
- 125 ml coconut milk (½ cup) preferably full-fat (I used Ayam brand)
- ½ cup cauliflower -raw florets, roughly chopped
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp vanilla -powder, extract or essence
- 1-2 tbsp rice malt syrup, honey or maple syrup -optional
- Place all of your ingredients into a high speed blender and process until smooth and creamy.
- Taste and adjust the sweetener to suit (keep in mind it will taste better frozen). The amount of sweetener you need will depends upon how ripe the mangos are (mangos become sweeter the riper they are). I like a slight tang from the lime.
- Pour into ice block moulds and freeze until solid (several hours).