I am yet to find a nutritious, healthy muesli that doesn’t cost the earth, and meets my approval (though I admit, I’m fairly hard to please here)! So I just make my own nourishing batch every month or so. It’s so very simple and you can play around to suit your taste and pantry stores. I don’t think I’ve ever made two batches the same as I tend to improvise with this recipe. I personally just throw it all in, you can’t go wrong and each batch will be different – keeping it interesting. Just make as much as you like and store in an airtight container for a month or more.
A good quality, sugar-free muesli is a very sustaining, truly nourishing start to the day…and we all know how important breakfast is, especially for children! Oats are a high fibre, very nutritious grain, boasting an impressive mineral profile. In herbal medicine, oats are restorative to the nervous system. I don’t know about you, but I’m up for any extra nervous system support! The addition of nuts and seeds adds protein, essential fats, and more nutrition. The coconut contributes immune boosting fatty acids and the cinnamon stabilises blood sugar levels. All in all – you’ll feel great and survive until lunch time without the need to reach for that mid-morning snack.
So here’s a guideline for your first batch.
Take a look at the variations (below the main recipe) for suggestions to alter the recipe to suit your specific dietary requirements.
If you’re looking to save money across pantry items such as nuts, seeds, flours and meals, I personally shop at The Wholefood Collective – great whole foods at heavily discounted prices (all home delivered), click HERE to take a look.
An easy to make, versatile breakfast, this Toasted Muesli can be customised to suit your taste and dietary requirements. It's a must in any healthy, whole foods pantry.
- 1 kg approx. rolled oats
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- ½ to 1 cup sesame seeds
- ½ to 1 cup pumpkin or sunflower seeds, or both
- ½ to 1 cup almonds (slivered, flaked or chopped raw)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon powder or to taste
- ½ cup macadamia nut oil
- ½ - 1 cup raw honey or rice malt syrup, depending on how sweet you like your muesli
- 1 cup spelt flakes, rolled quinoa, millet flakes, buckwheat kernels, rye flakes or any other grain
- ½ to 1 cup of any desire nut or seed I like walnuts, macadamia nuts, hazelnuts
Preheat the oven to 150℃.
- In a large baking tray mix all of the dried ingredients together.
- In a small pot place the oil and honey or brown rice syrup, heat gently for a minute or two (do not boil). Drizzle over the dried ingredients to coat evenly.
- Toss through the mixture to coat as evenly as possible.
- Place in a preheated oven, stirring every 15 minutes or so until evenly browned or toasted as much as you want it to be.
- Remove from the oven and if you like you can add:
- ½ to 1 cup of wheat germ (optional)
- Sultanas, raisins, currants, craisins, goji berries or any other dried fruit desired (optional)
- Once completely cooled store in an airtight container.
- Muesli in our house is always served with a good dollop of natural yoghurt, a splash of milk and fresh fruit (preferably passionfruit - yum!) or berries.
Sweeten with rice malt syrup and do not add any dried fruit.
Serve with coconut or nut milk.
Replace the sesame seeds with another nut or seed.
Replace the coconut with another nut or seed.
I always have my muesli baking in the oven whilst I'm preparing dinner. You can even get it started whilst the oven is heating and by the time you're ready to cook your dinner, the muesli should be done.
For a fast afternoon tea, put half a cup of natural yoghurt into a cup, top with a few tablespoons of muesli and berries. My kids love this ready for them in the cup holders of the car when I pick them up.
To make a fast bircher muesli, simply soak your toasted muesli in water or milk (of your choice) and a tablespoon of natural yogurt overnight. The next morning add more yogurt for a super digestible breakfast.
PS - For more beautiful breakfast inspiration, you can browse my ebook "Rise and Shine - A Well Nourished Breakfast"
You can shop for heavily discounted, top quality ingredients to make this recipe - take a look at this fabulous product bundle with everything you need, delivered to your door so you can start cooking now! Click THIS LINK, it's that simple.
I'd love to hear if you like this recipe. Let me know by posting a comment below. Questions also welcome!