This week’s recipe, One Pan Chicken Fajitas, is one of many fabulous recipes in this years incredible Healthy Meal Planning bundle (along with 28 of my own recipes). I made it for my family during the holidays and they just loved it so I thought I’d better share it. Thanks to Heather from Passion For Savings for agreeing to let me feature it. It’s super quick and easy to make, with just one pan to wash (always a bonus) and it’s really, really tasty. It can also be easily customised to suit your tastes and food goals.
Take a look at the variations (below the main recipe) for suggestions to alter the recipe to suit many dietary requirements (including vegan and vegetarian).
One Pan Chicken Fajitas
- 500 g boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I've also used thigh meat)
- 2 red capsicum
- 1 red onion -peeled
- 2 tbsp olive oil -extra virgin
- 2 tsp Mexican chili powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- Pre-heat your oven to 350°F/180°C.
- Prepare fajita seasoning by mixing all of the spices together. Set aside
- Cut the chicken, onion and bell peppers into thin strips and place on a sheet pan or baking dish.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with homemade fajita seasoning.
- Toss with tongs or spatula to get everything evenly coated.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes (stir halfway through).
- Serve in lettuce wraps with cheese and your favourite toppings!
- I've served it here with cheddar, coriander (cilantro) leaves, radish and fresh lime juice. But you can tailor this to suit your families needs and tastes.
- I love it with Guacomole or diced avocado too.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Onion and garlic-freeYou can omit them all, the other spices add loads of flavour.
Vegetarian and veganReplace the chicken with 300g of brown or field mushrooms and reduce the cooking time to 20 minutes. Reserve 1 tsp of spice mix and toss through 1 drained and rinsed can of black beans. Add these to the baking tray 5 minutes before the vegetables are ready to warm them.
I'd love to hear how you enjoy this simple, delicious meal. Let me know by posting a comment below.