I love this super quick, delicious and nutritious one pan meal. It takes just minutes to prepare and it is supposed to be quite rustic, so don’t get hung-up on chopping everything up perfectly.
This healthy meal has everything you need to nourish the family. Protein, especially if on the bone will introduce those bone derived nutrients I posted on here. The spices improve digestion and offer immune support. The vegetables are of course full of fibre, vitamins, minerals and protective Phyto (plant) chemicals.
Take a look at the variations (below the main recipe) for many suggestions to alter the recipe to suit your specific dietary requirements.
One pan Moroccan dinner
- 500 g meat of choice -approx. such a whole chicken thighs, chicken legs or diced lamb, lamb shanks or casserole chops (see below for vegetarian)
- 1 onion/s -roughly chopped
- 2 clove/s garlic -chopped
- 425 g can chickpeas -drained and rinsed
- 680 g tomato passata (puree) (sometimes called puree)
- 2 carrot/s -peeled and roughly diced
- 2 stick/s celery -chopped
- 1 zucchini/s -diced (or grated for fussy people)
- 1 red capsicum/s -diced
- 75 g peas (½ cup) fresh or frozen
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 lemon/s -zest (peel off a few strips with your peeler)
- Pinch Chilli flakes -to taste
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper -to taste
- ¼ bunch fresh parsley leaves
- 1 lemon/s -juice
- 1 tsp dulse flakes
- Preheat your oven to 150℃/300℉.
- Use either an oven proof deep pan (with a lid) or a casserole dish.
- On a stove top, begin with softening the onion and garlic in a little-refined coconut (tasteless), butter or ghee over a low heat. Push aside and slightly brown the meat of your choice. Take off the heat. Now add the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix together roughly, place on the lid and throw in the oven for 1-3 hours (depending upon the cut and size of the meat) or until the meat is tender. Chicken will cook in an hour, lamb will do better with a longer cook time.
- Finish with the fresh herbs and lime or lemon juice which adds a real freshness to the dish.
- Serve with cous cous or one of the variations below.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Can also be frozen.