I’ve always had batches of my Nourishing Toasted Muesli in the pantry for days when we don’t have time to cook eggs or prepare another breakfast. But lately my kids have been fussing over it and that’s always a sign that it’s time for me to change things up a bit…and this sensational Orange Almond Coconut Granola was born!
With oranges in season, I thought I’d inject some seasonal flavours into breakfast. It’s funny, because when I first made this a few months back, my kids were actually hesitant to try it. But when they did, they admitted that they really loved it and it’s become a firm favourite.
My son has it dry or with coconut yoghurt and orange segments (he’s just not a fan of dairy). The rest of us love it with milk, natural yoghurt and orange.
The oats are a fibre packed, mineral rich wholegrain. In herbal medicine oats are a nerve restorative so great for supporting the nervous system function and digestion also. Almonds add in more fibre, protein and good fats as well as a range of essential micronutrients including antioxidants.
Find an awesome range of brekkie inspo in my ebook ‘Rise and Shine a Well Nourished Breakfast‘ – designed with mad mornings in mind, it will ensure your brekkie is as good as it gets. Click HERE to shop.
Remember to take a look at the variations (below the main recipe) for suggestions to alter the recipe to suit your specific dietary requirements (gluten-free, nut-free, fructose friendly).
Orange, Almond, Coconut Granola
- 800 g rolled oats (8 cups)
- 280 g raw almonds (2 cups)
- 200 g shredded coconut (2 cups)
- 120 ml macadamia nut oil (½ cup)
- 2 orange/s - zest and juice
- 170 g rice malt syrup or maple syrup (½ cup)
- 2 tsp vanilla - essence or paste
- Pre-heat your oven to 160°C / 320°F (fan-forced).
- In a food processor add 360g (4 cups) of the rolled oats and all of the almonds. Pulse until the almonds are chopped up (but not milled to a meal, you want chunks). Thermomix turbo function and check through the lid (about 5 quick pulses).
- Place this and the rest of the oats and coconut into a large baking tray. It should form a thin layer (approx. 2cm deep) so use two baking trays if necessary.
- Mix the macadamia oil, orange juice and orange zest, rice malt or maple syrup and vanilla together in a jug (or your food processor). Thermomix 30 seconds, speed 4.
- Pour over the dry mix and give it a good stir so that all the dry ingredients are coated.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Stir well and bake another 15 mins. Repeat if necessary until the mixture is crisp and dry.
- Stir again and allow to cool completely.
- In an airtight container in a cool pantry for up to a month.
- With orange segments (and fresh strawberries), your favourite milk and unsweetened yoghurt.