This Pomegranate and Maple Spiced Walnut salad recipe makes a simple yet fabulous edition to the Christmas table. Nothing screams Christmas to me like pomegranate. It lends such a beautiful colour, texture and flavour to a salad and really compliments traditional Christmas meats. Once more it is so very healthy and nourishing. Pomegranate has an antioxidant profile to rival green tea. It is also a rich source of vitamin C and many other vitamins and minerals.
I am especially fond of this flavoursome fruit as I grew up with a pomegranate tree in my Nans backyard – in fact, not only did it provide much childhood nourishment, but also shade from the hot Perth sun. We had many Christmas celebrations under its canopy, so lots of nostalgia for me from these beautiful red pearls of sweet juice.
This salad is especially good for feeding a group because it can be largely pre-prepared and simply assembled just prior to serving.
Take a look at the variations (below the main recipe) for suggestions to alter the recipe to suit many specific dietary requirements.
If you’re looking to save money across pantry items such as nuts, seeds, flours and more, I personally shop at The Wholefood Collective – great whole foods at heavily discounted prices (all home delivered), click HERE to check them out.
Pomegranate and Maple Spiced Walnut Salad
- 50 g baby spinach (approx.) washed and dried
- 1 pomegranate -seeds
- 100 g soft goats cheese (or you could use feta cheese)
Candied Walnuts (make in advance)
- 60 g walnuts (1 cup)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil -or macadamia nut oil
- 2 tbsp rice malt syrup or maple syrup
- 1 tsp mixed spice
Dressing (make in advance)
- 6 tbsp olive oil -extra virgin
- 3 tbsp raspberry vinegar (you can sub red wine vinegar)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper -to taste
Prepare the candied walnuts
- Preheat your oven to 150 degrees celsius. Line a small baking tray or large plate with baking paper.
- Mix the oil and sweetener of your choice with the mixed spice and toss through the walnuts to coat them evenly.
- Lay them in a single layer on the baking tray and bake for 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely and store in an airtight container until the salad is ready to assemble.
Prepare your dressing
- Shake the oil, vinegar, and seasoning in a jar until combined.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning and / or vinegar to taste. Set aside.
Then assemble the salad just prior to serving
- Place the spinach leaves in the serving bowl and toss with the dressing to coat the leaves.
- Top with the candied walnuts, pomegranate and goat's cheese.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!