I’m seriously becoming more time poor as each year passes. My kids are busy with both before and after school activities pretty much every day of the week. So the amount of time I have to spend in the kitchen is way less than when they were little and we were home a lot more. So it’s recipes like these Popcorn Caramel Chews that take literally 5 minutes to make, which are a saviour when life gets crazy.
The caramel base is the easiest caramel you’ll ever make (no heating required). The best part is they hold up much better than most no-bake treats when out of the fridge.
These are also a great treat for kids resistant to whole foods. You can serve them as is, but I’d encourage you to take the opportunity to add in some extra nourishment (suggestions to tailor the recipe to your needs and taste below). My kids think this is the best thing I’ve ever made, so I can’t wait to hear how your kids like them.
These are also super popular at parties.. I reckon they’d give Honey Joys a run for their money.
If you’re also a busy mum or dad lacking inspiration to pack a healthy, yet delicious lunch box that your kids actually enjoy eating, then the ‘Well Nourished Lunchbox’ ebook is here to help…and it’s so much more than just another recipe book!
“This book has been the answer to the weekday dilemma of what to put in the lunchbox that is not only healthy but taste good and gets eaten !!! We all LOVE it.” Suzanne
To celebrate the new upcoming school term…enter the coupon code LUNCH10 to receive 10% off ‘The Well Nourished Lunchbox’ ebook and bundles.
Find out more or SHOP HERE.
Take a look at the variations (below the main recipe) for suggestions to alter the recipe to suit any specific dietary requirements.
Popcorn Caramel Chews
- ½ cup coconut butter *see below
- 170 g rice malt syrup, honey or maple syrup (½ cup)
- ½ tsp vanilla -powder, extract or essence
- Pinch sea salt (optional)
- 3 cups popcorn -plain or salted
Your choice of extra nourishment (all optional)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 30 g goji berries (¼ cup)
- 30 g sunflower seeds (¼ cup) or pumpkin or sesame seeds (raw, toasted or dehydrated)
- 30 g flaked almonds (¼ cup) or slivered or chopped nuts (raw, toasted or dehydrated)
- Top with freeze dried raspberry fruit sprinkles for a party
- * the nuts and seeds you can add in whole or grind them.
- Start by softening the coconut butter by standing the jar in hot water.
- Once it's soft enough to be mixed with a spoon easily, add it to a bowl with your choice of sweetener and the vanilla.
- Mix with a metal spoon until combined and creamy.
- Add the popcorn (and any extras) and fold it thorough the caramel. If it's cold and the caramel is to thick to work through the popcorn, stand the mixing bowl in hot water for a few minutes.
- Divide between 18 mini patty cases. You can top with extras if you like also.
- Put in the freezer for 30 minutes or so to set.
- Airtight in the freezer. They can be eaten from frozen or packed into a lunchbox with an ice-brick. The caramel will soften a little but it holds up a lot better than coconut oil based raw treats.