A tasty sausage roll always goes down well at anytime. These delicious Pork and Apple Sausage Rolls are complete with a serve of fruit and veggies and they are super simple to make.
They can also be made ahead and simply baked just prior to serving – which is perfect for entertaining or make-ahead meals.
Turn them into rissoles
You can make these into rissoles by shaping the meat filling into balls, flattening and cooking on the BBQ or in a pan.
Take a look at the variations (below the main recipe) for suggestions to alter the recipe to suit many specific dietary requirements.
Pork and Apple Sausage Rolls
- 1 clove/s garlic - peeled
- 1 red onion/s - peeled
- 2 Granny Smith apples - moisture rung from them
- 1 carrot/s - small & grated
- 30 g baby spinach - handful (or alternatively parsley leaves)
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- ½ tsp sea salt - or to taste
- Ground black pepper - good grind
- 500 g free-range pork mince
- 1 sheet Carême All Butter Puff Pastry - I love the wholemeal spelt puff
- 2 tbsp milk - splash (to brush pastry)
- 1 tsp chia seeds - black
- Preheat your oven to 200°C/400°F (fan-forced) and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a food processor grate your garlic, onion, apple, carrot and baby spinach. Alternatively, grate / finely chop by hand.
- Mix together with the thyme, mustard, salt, pepper and pork mince until well combined.
- Halve the sheet of puff pastry and divide the mince mixture evenly along the centre and length of both halves of the pastry.
- Roll and pinch together the seam, placing it face down on the baking tray.
- Brush with the milk, sprinkle with the chia seeds and cut into approx. 8 pieces (per log).
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the pastry is puffed and golden brown.
- Chop the garlic, 5 seconds, speed 4. Add the onion, apples, carrot and baby spinach. Chop 10 seconds, speed 5 (or until grated finely).
- Add the thyme, mustard, seasoning and pork mince and mix reverse, 1 minutes, speed 3.
- Continue as above.
- Enjoy immediately with your preferred tomato chutney or sauce.
- Make and refrigerate or freeze in an airtight containber until ready to bake.