Even here in on the sunny Gold Coast, an Autumn chill has descended once the sun retires for the day. With winter looming and a few nasty bugs threatening, I thought I would share one of my families favourite winter warmers – a pumpkin soup. But not just any old pumpkin soup… the variations are all SO good, it’s hard to pick a favourite.
Pumpkin is a wonderful source of dietary fibre and a powerhouse of vitamins and minerals. It contains many antioxidants, particularly beta-carotene which is essential for maintaining the integrity of the skin and mucous membranes and essential for optimal vision. Beyond this, it is very versatile and makes a cracking soup base. The bone broth will support you gut and immune system and then some. To catch up on the benefits of bone broth, click here.
My kids really don’t like pumpkin, but they love my pumpkin soup. Pick a flavour variation that appeals to your child. For example, if you’re child loves bacon, chances are they’ll like the bacon version.
Take a look at the variations (below the main recipe) for suggestions to alter the recipe to suit your specific dietary requirements.
Pumpkin Soup - four ways
- 2 tbsp butter, ghee or coconut oil
- 1 onion/s -roughly diced
- 2 clove/s garlic -roughly sliced
- 1 kg pumpkin -peeled and roughly diced into 2-3cm cubes (or a piece of a larger pumpkin)
- 750 ml chicken stock or bone broth (3 cups) or vegetable stock
- 270 ml canned coconut milk (1 cup)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper - to taste
- In a large pot, over a medium heat add butter or oil then gently sauté the onion and garlic for a minute or two until translucent.
- Add the pumpkin and stock, bring to the boil then simmer until the pumpkin starts to fall apart.
- Allow to cool a little before processing in a blender or food processor until smooth. Taste and season.
- If you are making the Thai, Ginger, or Indian version, add the coconut milk and mix or blend the soup.
- Re-heat in a pot over a low heat until just hot.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.