This gluten and grain-free Quinoa Porridge breakfast can be as simple as the quinoa and your choice of milk. But it’s much more nutritious and delicious with the optional extras. It’s also a great way to use up left over quinoa. So next time you are planning a quinoa based meal, make sure you cook a bit extra for breakfast the next day. I have included instructions for cooking the quinoa in case you need it.
Quinoa Porridge is a fabulous, protein rich alternative to an oat based porridge. It’s also my next recipe to feature on JamieOliver.com – my twist on Jamie’s Banana and Cinnamon Porridge recipe. Enjoy!
Take a look at the variations (below the main recipe) for suggestions to alter the recipe to suit any specific dietary requirements.
- 2 cups cooked quinoa - or ¾ cup uncooked
- 250 ml milk (1 cup) of your choice, my personal preference is coconut milk - delicious!
- 30 g rice malt syrup, honey or maple syrup (2 tbsp or adjust to taste)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 35 g nuts (¼ cup) of your choice
- In a small saucepan, place the quinoa, sweetener, optional extras and milk of your choice and heat until just hot (but not boiling).
- Top with the nuts or seeds and serve immediately. I like this also served with slightly acidic fruits like citrus, pineapple, kiwifruit, passion fruit or berries (to cut through the creaminess of the porridge). Banana is lovely too.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
To Cook Quinoa
- Firstly rinse the quinoa in a fine sieve really well for at least 1 minute (this removes the bitter saponins from the quinoa). Cook the quinoa by placing it into a pot with 1½ cups of water.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, then decrease the heat a bit to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook uncovered until the quinoa has absorbed all of the water, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove the pot from heat, cover, and let the quinoa steam for 5 minutes. This step gives the quinoa time to pop open and the little white spiral to appear. After 5 minutes, remove the lid and fluff the quinoa with a fork. Allow to cool.