This gluten and grain-free Quinoa Porridge breakfast can be as simple as the quinoa and choice of milk, but much more nutritious and delicious with the optional extras. It’s a great way to use up left over quinoa so next time you are planning a quinoa based meal, make sure you cook a bit extra for breakfast the next day.
Quinoa Porridge is a fabulous, protein rich alternative to an oat based porridge. It’s also my next recipe to feature on JamieOliver.com – my twist on Jamie’s Banana and Cinnamon Porridge recipe. Enjoy!
Take a look at the variations (below the main recipe) for suggestions to alter the recipe to suit any specific dietary requirements.
If you’re looking to save money across pantry items such as nuts, seeds, flours and meals, I personally shop at The Wholefood Collective – great whole foods at heavily discounted prices (all home delivered), click HERE to take a look.
This delicious Quinoa Porridge is an easy to make and sustaining start to the day. It suits gluten, dairy & egg-free diets.
- 2 cups of cooked quinoa
- Your choice of coconut milk coconut water, rice milk, almond milk or full-fat milk, enough to just cover the quinoa.
- My personal preference is the coconut milk - delicious!
- 1-2 tablespoons of sweetener rice syrup, maple syrup or raw honey
- add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- add 1 teaspoon of cardamom powder
- add 4 tablespoons of mixed raw or gently roasted nuts and seeds
- In a small saucepan, place the quinoa, sweetener, optional extras and milk of your choice and heat until just hot (but not boiling).
- Top with the nuts or seeds and serve immediately. I like this also served with slightly acidic fruits like citrus, pineapple, kiwifruit, passion fruit or berries (to cut through the creaminess of the porridge). Banana is lovely too.
Make with your favourite dairy free milk.
Leave out the nuts and top with a mix of seeds.
Use rice syrup as a sweetener. Serve with low-fructose fruits such as berries.
Time Saving Tip
If cooking quinoa for a meal, always cook up extra to have for breakfast.