This gluten and grain-free Quinoa Porridge breakfast can be as simple as the quinoa and your choice of milk. But it’s much more nutritious and delicious with the optional extras. It’s also a great way to use up left over quinoa. So next time you are planning a quinoa based meal, make sure you cook a bit extra for breakfast the next day.
Quinoa Porridge is a fabulous, protein rich alternative to an oat based porridge. It’s also my next recipe to feature on JamieOliver.com – my twist on Jamie’s Banana and Cinnamon Porridge recipe. Enjoy!
Take a look at the variations (below the main recipe) for suggestions to alter the recipe to suit any specific dietary requirements.
If you’re looking to save money across pantry items such as nuts, seeds, flours and meals, I personally shop at The Wholefood Collective – great whole foods at heavily discounted prices (all home delivered), click HERE to take a look.
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 250 ml milk (1 cup) of your choice, my personal preference is coconut milk - delicious!
- 30 g rice malt syrup, honey or maple syrup (2 tbsp or adjust to taste)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 35 g nuts (¼ cup) of your choice
- In a small saucepan, place the quinoa, sweetener, optional extras and milk of your choice and heat until just hot (but not boiling).
- Top with the nuts or seeds and serve immediately. I like this also served with slightly acidic fruits like citrus, pineapple, kiwifruit, passion fruit or berries (to cut through the creaminess of the porridge). Banana is lovely too.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.