These Quinoa Stuffed Mushrooms are a delicious, gluten and grain-free, vegetarian meal and a real family favourite. Friends have touted this a ‘restaurant quality’ meal, but they couldn’t be simpler to make.
Mushrooms are a very nutritious vegetable and one of the few sources of vitamin D. The garlic and red onion are wonderful immune building, detoxifying vegetables. The quinoa is a complete protein and fibre rich seed. More plant-based fibre and nutrition from the spinach and walnuts. The chia is another excellent source of fibre, protein and essential fatty acids.
Take a look at the variations below for all the details as well as suggestions to alter the recipe to suit your specific dietary requirements.
If you’re looking to save money across pantry items such as nuts, seeds, quinoa and much more, I personally shop at The Wholefood Collective – great whole foods at heavily discounted prices (and delivered to my door), click HERE to take a look.
Quinoa Stuffed Mushrooms
For the stuffed mushrooms:
- 8 large portobello or field mushrooms -stalks removed and set aside
- 135 g quinoa (¾ cups)
- ½ red onion/s (small) finely diced
- 30 g baby spinach - or kale leaves, finely chopped (approx. handful)
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves -picked off the stalks (or 1 teaspoon of dried)
- 100 g feta cheese -or goats curd, crumbled
- 60 g walnuts (½ cup) roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp chia seeds (optional)
For the dressing (optional):
- 1 clove/s garlic -unpeeled (roasted with the mushrooms)
- 1 lemon/s -(small) zest and 2 tablespoons of juice
- 60 ml olive oil -extra virgin (4 tbsp)
- Preheat your oven to 180º C/350°F (fan-forced).
- Chop the mushrooms stalks up and combine in a bowl with the quinoa, onion, spinach or kale and thyme leaves.
- Now mix through the feta or goats curd. Taste and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Spoon onto the mushrooms, pressing it into place and then top with the walnuts and sprinkle with the chia seeds.
- Place them in a baking tray with the whole clove of garlic and roast for 20 minutes.
- For the dressing mix together the zest, lemon juice and olive oil, and once cooked, squeeze out the soft centre of the roasted garlic and mix into the dressing.
- With rocket and a drizzle of dressing.
- Re-heat in a low oven until just hot.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.