There are many wonderful things about the festive season. The creation of family traditions, especially those involving delicious food are one of my favourites. My brother in-law made this Smoked Salmon Roulade many years ago for our ‘Melbourne family’ Christmas Day. Since then, I have given it a bit of a Well Nourished make-over, as I do! It’s been a starter for of our Christmas Day feasts ever since.
It makes for a great entertainer, especially as you can make it a day or two ahead and simply slice to serve. It’s quite rich so one or two slices is very satisfying!
It looks quite fussy, but making it to photograph and share with you, I was reminded how very simple it is. It suits gluten and grain-free peeps and I’ve included an equally delicious dairy-free variation.
Remember to take a look at the variations (below the main recipe). Here, you’ll find suggestions to alter the recipe to suit your dietary goals (dairy-free, nut-free, onion-free).
This Smoked Salmon Roulade is a divine starter or entree. It's perfect for a celebration or special occasion and is quite simple to make.
- 400 grams zucchini (courgette), grated
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 4 free-range or organic eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons chopped herbs, I love a combination thyme, parsley, chives, dill
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Pinch cream of tartar
- 200 grams (approx.) hot smoked salmon fillet
- Lemon, zest and juice
- 2-3 tablespoons baby capers
- 4 spring onions, white part finely chopped
- 50 grams crème fraîche
- 150 grams quark
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Flaked almonds, toasted
- Microherbs, to serve
Preheat your oven to 200℃.
- Line a 24 x 33cm slice tin with non-stick baking paper. It's important the tin is this size otherwise the roulade will be too thick and won't roll without splitting.
Grate the zucchini. Toss with the sea salt in a colander and leave 30 minutes. Rinse and squeeze dry in the sieve and then in a clean cloth or tea-towel.
In a mixing bowl, beat in the egg yolks, herbs and Parmesan and season with sea salt and pepper. Once the zucchini is ready, add this and mix well.
- In a separate clean bowl, whisk the egg whites with the cream of tartare until peaks just form. Thermomix, butterfly inserted, 1 min 30 sec, speed 4.
- Gently fold the egg white into the courgette/ egg yolk mixture using a large spoon. You are aiming to just combine the ingredients without over working the mixture.
- Pour into prepared tin and quickly level the mixture, spreading it out into the corners. Bake for 13-15 minutes until set and light golden brown.
Whilst that's baking, crumble the salmon into a bowl with the finely grated lemon zest, capers, spring onion and crème fraîche, quark and lemon juice. Season with sea salt and pepper. Mix until almost smooth. Thermomix 20 seconds, speed 3.
- Taste the mixture and season with salt, pepper and more lemon juice if you feel it's needed.
- Store the salmon mixture in the fridge until required.
When the roulade is cooked, invert it onto a clean tea towel. To do this easily, I wrap the tea-towel around the baking tin then tip it over.
- Peel away the baking paper carefully and loosely roll it up from the short side (so it's like a Swiss roll). Allow it to cool fully.
When its cooled completely, carefully un-roll the roulade and spread it with the salmon cream filling. Roll-up again from the short side, then carefully transfer to a serving plate with the seam-side down.
- Chill and store in an air-tight container until ready to serve.
- Carefully toast the almond flakes, watching carefully so they don't burn.
- Cut into 2cm slices and top with toasted almonds and micro-herbs to serve.
Replace the parmesan cheese with the same amount of nutritional yeast. Replace the crème fraîche and quark with approx. one and half cups of cashew nut cream (thickish blend).
Simply omit the almonds.
Just leave the spring onions out.
I'd love to hear how you love this recipe. Post a comment below if you make it or if you have any questions!