Today, I have for you, a delicious sticky drumsticks recipe – perfect for picnics, a meal, and leftovers are great for school lunches too. They’re budget friendly (even organic drumsticks are quite affordable), super quick to make and something I’m sure the whole family will love.
Most stores bought marinades are a combination of unhealthy ingredients such as sugar, vegetable oils, additives, and preservatives. This homemade marinade demonstrates that healthy doesn’t necessarily mean hours in the kitchen. The marinade is gluten, dairy and has a fructose-free option.
Take a look at the variations (below the main recipe) for suggestions to alter the recipe to suit many specific dietary requirements.
Sticky Drumsticks (with a simple tahini yoghurt dipping sauce)
- 12 chicken drumsticks (approx.)
- 1 clove/s garlic -crushed
- 60 ml tamari (¼ cup)
- 85 g rice malt syrup or honey (¼ cup)
- 1 lemon/s -zest and juice
Simple tahini yoghurt dipping sauce
- 250 g full-fat natural yoghurt (1 cup)
- 2 tbsp hulled tahini
- ¼ tsp sea salt - or to taste
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F (fan-forced).
- In a small bowl or jug mix all the marinade ingredients together.
- Place the drumsticks in a small roasting dish in a single layer.
- Pour the marinade over the top to toss and coat the chicken evenly and place in the oven for about 40 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. If they are not brown enough, you can always place them under the grill for a few minutes at the end of the cooking process.
- While they are baking make the dipping sauce. Mix all of the ingredients until well combined and serve with the drumsticks.
- If you wanted to BBQ these you could. Just score the meat of each of the drumsticks three times, to allow the marinated to penetrate and to help them to cook through without burning.
- Serve with a napkin or wrap foil around the 'handles' .Enjoy hot or cold with the tahini yogurt dipping sauce (recipe below).
- Re-heat covered in a low oven until just hot.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.