As a kid, one of my favourite takeaway meals was Chinese. It was the 70’s and Chinese food was as fancy as it got in my young world. Even though it is probably my least favourite cuisine nowadays, one dish that conjures up all sorts of childhood memories is Sweetcorn Soup.
It just so happens that this is seriously one of the easiest soups to make. Here’s how I make mine.
The bone broth, is seriously a wonderful ‘super’ food, read more about its healing potential and benefits here. The ginger and garlic are warming, immune boosting herbs. The corn is a wonderful source of fibre, antioxidants and a long list of plant-based nutrients. The egg lends a good dose of protein.
Take a look at the variations (below the main recipe) for suggestions to alter the recipe to suit many specific dietary requirements.
Simple Sweet Corn Soup (a nourishing twist on this favourite)
- 1 L chicken stock or broth (4 cups)
- 1 tsp ginger -finely grated
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cob corn -kernels cut from the cob (as is, or minced in a food processor)
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 free-range or organic egg -beaten
- 2 spring onions -sliced thinly
- Pinch White pepper -to taste
- Sea salt -to taste
- 1 tsp cornflour -mixed with 2 tablespoons of water
- Chicken -cooked and diced or shredded (for more protein or to make this a Chicken and Sweet Corn Soup)
- shiitake mushrooms -sliced (great for an immune boost)
- Handful fresh coriander leaves -chopped (great detoxifier)
- 1 Red chilli -finely sliced
- In a small pot, place your broth, ginger, garlic and corn (plus optional chicken or mushrooms) and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tamari, taste and add more sea salt if required. If you would like a thicker soup, add the cornflower mix at this point and stir through well. Personally, I'm happy with a clear soup.
- With the soup at a slow simmer, stir to make a whirlpool and slowly drizzle the egg so ribbons form.
- Serve with the spring onions, white pepper (and optional coriander or red chilli).
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.