Most mornings, my 7yr old son (the most laid back individual in the world and not particularly partial to anything to domesticated), makes the family a smoothie. Usually, he sticks to favourite combinations like berry, spinach, banana or pineapple, spinach, lime and mint; but occasionally, with a little guidance he likes to get creative.
My only stipulation with the morning smoothie is that it has a little veg in it (and he usually picks spinach or avocado). But one day recently he decided that we should try beetroot in the smoothie. A few weeks on, we’ve been fine-tuning this recipe and I think we’ve got to the really delicious stage, worthy of officially sharing.
Beetroot is an anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, detoxifying and extremely nutrient rich vegetable. Research suggests it improves stamina and sports performance (this fact alone appeals to my sport loving kids). The coconut water is rehydrating and the nut butter a great source of protein.
Take a look at the variations (below the main recipe) for suggestions to alter the recipe to suit your specific dietary requirements.
Coco-beet Berry Smoothie
- 100 g frozen raspberries (1 cup) or strawberries or a mix
- 2 tbsp cacao (unsweetened Dutch process or raw)
- 2 tbsp peanut butter (or any other nut butter)
- 1-2 tbsp rice malt syrup, honey or maple syrup
- ½ small raw beetroot -peeled and diced
- 250 ml coconut water (1 cup) or Coco Quench is nice too
- Blend together in a high powered blender until smooth. Thermomix 30 seconds, speed 9.
- Enjoy as part of a very healthy breakfast or snack.
- Leftovers can be frozen into little cups or ice-block moulds for a snack another day.