This Green Bean and Almond Salad is a simple, delicious combination of flavours. It is a great salad to make when entertaining as you can prepare it and quickly assemble it just prior to serving. So many ‘green’ fussy kids I’ve had to dinner have loved this salad; it’s sure to become a family favourite.
Why is it healthy?
Green beans are a fantastic source of fibre and protective antioxidants (carotenoids and flavonoids especially). Almonds are a rich source of protein, monounsaturated fats, many fat soluble vitamins and a plethora of minerals. The lemon juice and zest are full of immune boosting vitamins and phytonutrients.
Take a look at the variations (below the main recipe) for suggestions to alter the recipe to suit many specific dietary requirements.
For lots more sides and salad inspo, take a look at my hugely popular ebook ˜Well Nourished Sides and Salads’– where vegetables become the hero of the dish! It’s great value at just $9.95, click HERE to take a look.
Green Bean and Almond Salad
- 500 g green beans -top and tailed
- 20 g flaked almonds (¼ cup)
- 100 g feta cheese -crumbled
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 lemon/s -zest finely grated plus 1 tbs juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil -extra virgin
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper -to taste
- Top and tail your beans (my daughter does this for me) and steam for two minutes. Remove and rinse well under cold water to stop the beans from cooking. This is the only tricky part of this recipe…you really don't want to overcook the beans!
- Under a slow grill, toast the almonds watching them carefully (I hate it when I burn the buggers).
- Mix your dressing by combining well (shake together in a small jar).
- Assemble and dress just prior to serving.