These Carrots with Hazelnut Maple Butter is an incredibly delicious side dish. It’s a beautiful combination of flavours and textures and I can’t wait to hear how you love it. This would suit any summery meal, with a grilled or BBQd protein or in the winter months this is delicious with a roast or a…
This haloumi recipe is a super fast, easy to make, nutritious snack or light lunch. I always have a packet of haloumi in the fridge for a last minute lunch or a quick snack. I sometimes make this for my kids for an after school snack too. It’s so delicious and pretty, you can even make this as a starter when entertaining. Talk about versatile!
Because the haloumi and nuts are a source of protein and the apple is a rich source of vitamins, phytonutrients and fibre.
Take a look at the variations (below the main recipe) for suggestions to alter the recipe to suit your specific dietary requirements.
Sweet haloumi, lemon and hazelnuts
- 180 g haloumi
- 1 red or green apple -julienned into thin strips
- 10-20 hazelnuts - raw
- 1 lemon/s -juice and zest
- 1 tbsp olive oil -extra virgin
- 1 tbsp fresh mint leaves -scattered over the dish are really delicious.
- 4 Fresh figs -when in season are a delicious addition to this.
- Cut the haloumi in half to make it thinner and also lengthways, so you have four pieces.
- You can cook haloumi in a pan or on the BBQ. However, I find the quickest and easiest way is in a sandwich press.
- Heat the press, then place the haloumi and hazelnuts in it for a few minutes or until they have browned.
- Divide the haloumi and hazelnuts between the plates, scatter over the apple and mint and drizzle with the lemon juice and olive oil.
- The acidity of the lemon, sweetness of the apple and saltiness of the haloumi is a heavenly flavour combination. It's important however to eat the haloumi straight off the press whilst it is hot and crunchy on the outside and soft inside. As it cools, haloumi has a tendency to go rubbery - so eat it quickly!
- This takes little longer than cutting up an apple. Give it a go, it's delicious and sure to become a favourite.