By now, you know I love super quick, delicious and nutritious one pan meals. This is supposed to be quite rustic so don’t get hung-up on chopping everything up perfectly.
This healthy chicken recipe is a nourishing one pan complete meal, and is fast and simple to make! Plus it can be pre-prepared and reheated as needed. It contains a perfect balance of protein, fats, fibre and a rainbow of vegetables and herbs.
This Rustic Tarragon Chicken is a nourishing, easy to prepare one pan bake and is delicious.
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 500-700 grams chicken thighs or chicken legs
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 carrots, peeled and roughly diced
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 2 small or 1 large sweet potato, washed and diced
- 3 tablespoons fresh tarragon, leaves picked and chopped or 1 tablespoon dried tarragon
- Splash of white wine
- ½ cup chicken or vegetable broth/ stock
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley leaves, to serve
- Preheat your oven to 180℃.
Use an oven proof deep pan (with a lid) or a casserole dish. On a stove top, begin with softening the onion and garlic in a little coconut oil or butter over a moderate heat.
Push aside and brown the chicken. Take off the heat.
- Now add the cannellini beans, vegetables, tarragon, wine, stock, and seasoning. Mix together roughly to make sure the herbs are evenly distributed.
- Place on the lid and throw in the oven for 50 - 60 minutes or until the meat is cooked.
- Finish with parsley leaves (which adds a real freshness to the dish and more nourishment).
- Over chopped salad greens, chopped kale, steamed broccoli and mashed (pureed) cauliflower or potato.
If you are pushed for time and want to pre-prepare this meal, don't worry about sautéing the onion, garlic, and meat. Just throw all together, cover and refrigerate until you're ready to bake. You will just need to bake it for an extra 10-20 minutes to ensure the meat is cooked. I also often take the lid off for the last 10 -15 minutes to brown the chicken.
Double the legumes or add in mushrooms.
Simply omit the beans.
Replace the onion with a small bulb of diced fennel.
Simply omit the garlic or replace with a pinch of chilli.
If you dislike or don't have a particular vegetable, just substitute it or leave it out. This is a very versatile dish - anything goes!
Don't like Tarragon?
Simple, thyme is a delicious alternative.
Love you to try this tasty dish and let me know how you like it? Did you make any changes, love you to share?