I’ve touted the benefits of bone broth repeatedly. If you suffer from a digestive difficulty of any sort, allergies or food intolerance, then bone broth may just be your magic bullet. Once more it is very simple and inexpensive to make. Click here for a recipe and more about the benefits of bone broth.
There are many ways to use bone broth. Whilst the most obvious use for bone broth is as stock for soups and casseroles, this hot summer weather doesn’t really lend itself to a hearty meal. So in the name of the health of your digestive system, I thought I’d offer a few more suggestions for meals or snacks that include this delicious, nourishing liquid.
Remember, once you’ve made up a big pot, freeze it in lots of different sized containers…jars, ice cube trays and even silicon muffin trays so you always have the right amount on hand.
So here are my favourite ways to use it year round…
- Risotto – my brown rice risotto is the bomb, a healthier version of its arborio cousin. Get the recipe here.
- Cook up some mushrooms – Mushrooms have a wonderful way of taking on other flavours. Simply sauté them in a little butter or olive oil, garlic and a splash of broth (or a few broth ice cubes). Don’t forget to season with sea salt and black pepper, delicious!
- Stir fry – add the stock to your stir fry. It imparts lots of its goodness and a beautiful flavour to the dish.
- Poach an egg in broth and serve it with a slice of sourdough for a delicious, nourishing breakfast.
- Cook your grains in it – use an absorption method to cook couscous, polenta, quinoa or rice (and then you can even allow to cool and use them in a salad). Just make sure you remember you’ve cooked them in stock. I have accidentally used leftover quinoa cooked in stock to make a sweet coconut pudding – can’t say the result was great! These quinoa patties are even more delicious when the quinoa is cooked in broth rather than water.
- Make a curry – once again, sometimes on the hottest days, I crave curry and I never miss the opportunity to add some broth. My Dhal recipe is a perfect way to use broth. This potato curry is also delicious. This Creamy Mexican Chicken is also amazing.
- Add it to this pork stirfry is simple and delicious.
- Make a sauce or gravy.
- Broth is a lovely replacement for milk in a white sauce.
- Replace milk with stock when making mashed potatoes.
- Make healthy, nourishing instant noodles.
- This lasagne is to die for and uses a bit of broth.
- Bolognese is delicious cooked with a good splash of broth.
- Make a laksa style soup or tom yum – I know I said instead of soup, but for some reason, these soups, with their origins from hot countries just go down well on a hot night. When I can’t face a heavy soup like pumpkin or minestrone, laksa or tom yum it is. My Immune boosting broth or Asian Soup is a quick and delicious tonic.
- Use a small amount to steam veggies and then pour the reduced liquid over the veggies with a blob of coconut oil, olive oil or butter over the veggies. Delicious.
- Make a gazpacho (cold soup).
- Of course there are so many amazing soups that use broth, click HERE for all the nourishing inspiration you need.