Asian Immune Broth
A delicious combination of immune supportive ingredients, this broth is a nourishing, healing brew.
Servings: 4 small cups
- 750 ml chicken stock or bone broth (3 cups)
- 10 shiitake mushrooms -sliced (use fresh if available to you, otherwise use dried which are available in the Asian section of most supermarkets)
- 1.5 cm ginger root -thinly sliced
- 2 clove/s garlic -peeled and sliced
- 1 tbsp fish sauce (or sea salt to taste)
- ½ lime/s -juice
- 2 stick/s lemongrass -no need to extract the heart, just chop it up roughly
- 1 red chilli/s (optional)
- ¼ bunch fresh Asian herbs -coriander, Thai basil, mint or Vietnamese mint leaves (added at the end to serve)
- 1 tsp ground turmeric (or 3-4 slices of fresh root added with the ginger)
- 4 stem/s kale -chopped (added at the very end)
- Any veggies you like really can be included in the mix
In a small saucepan place your stock (if it's frozen gently heat it gently to defrost), shitake mushrooms, ginger root, garlic and lemon grass and turmeric (if using) and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Remove from the heat and add the fish sauce and lime juice and taste, (you can add more of either or both if you feel it needs more salt or acidity).
You can strain off the solids, or I personally just pour them into the bowl or cup to serve as they sink to the bottom anyway. We actually enjoy eating them, hunks of ginger and all.
Add the fresh herbs and chili if you like. Enjoy and feel the benefit!
Make it into a meal
Add chicken, more vegetables, noodles or rice to make this into a hearty meal. We love it with red rice noodles and poached eggs for breakfast.
Use sea salt instead of fish sauce. Choose a vegetable broth. You can add shredded tofu and vegetables to make a meal of it.
Use sea salt instead of fish sauce.
Simply omit the garlic (there is enough flavour to replace it already).
This is delicious, don't you think? Post a comment below with your thoughts.