Creamy Potato Apple Soup
This is a delicious blend of carbohydrate by way of the vegetables and apple, coupled with protein from the broth and milk.
- 30 g butter or olive oil
- 1 large onion/s -peeled and roughly diced
- 2 clove/s garlic -peeled and sliced
- 2 stick/s celery -cut into pieces
- 2 potato/s (medium) (approx. 300g) peeled and diced
- 1 sweet potato/s (small) (approx. 100g) peeled and diced
- 2 Granny Smith apples (small) (approx.100g) peeled and diced
- 370 ml chicken stock or bone broth (1½ cups) or vegetable stock
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper -to taste
- 60 ml milk (¼ cup) of your choice
In a large pot add the butter or oil with the onion, garlic and celery. Sauté over a low to medium heat for 5 minutes or so until the onion starts to soften.
Add the potatoes, sweet potato, apples and broth or stock. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a high simmer. Cook until the potato is soft and falls apart (when skewered with a knife or fork).
Allow to cool a little, add the milk and blend with a stick blender or in blender or food processor until smooth and creamy.
Chop the onion, garlic and celery 5 seconds speed 5.
Add the butter or olive oil and cook 5 mins, 100, speed 1.
Add the potatoes, sweet potatoes, apple and broth or stock.
Cook 15 mins, speed spoon, 100.
Remove the lid and allow to cool for 15 minutes. Add the milk and blend 30 seconds, speed 5-6 (take care to gradually increase the speed).
Choose olive oil and a nut milk.
Vegetarian and vegan
Use vegetable stock and for vegan the dairy-free variations.
Replace the onion with fennel, finely chopped and sautéed as above.
Replace the garlic with a pinch of cumin and cayenne pepper.
I'd love to hear how you enjoyed this soup. You can post a comment below and let me know.