Quick Pantry Lentil Soup
This Quick Pantry Lentil Soup has basic ingredients found in your pantry, this delicious and nutritious soup will easily become one of your go to meals.
- 2 tbsp olive oil - extra virgin
- 4 clove/s garlic - minced
- 1 onion/s - diced
- 1 stick/s celery - finely chopped
- 1 carrot/s - diced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 400 g diced tinned tomatoes
- 800 g can brown lentils - (or any lentil of your choice) rinsed, drained
- 500 ml stock or broth - your choice of chicken or vegetable
- ½ tsp sea salt - or to taste
- 50 g baby spinach - or kale or silverbeet
- 200 g full-fat natural yoghurt - to serve
In a medium size pot, add the olive oil, garlic, onion, celery, carrot and spices and saute for 4 minutes over a moderate heat.
Now add the tomato paste, tomatoes, lentils and broth or stock. If using homemade broth add an extra ½ tsp of sea salt. Bring to a simmer for 20 minutes.
Add in the spinach and stir for 1 minute until it wilts.
Start with chopping the garlic - 3 sec, speed 6.
Then add the onion and celery and chop, 4 seconds speed 5. You can add in the carrot here too, but I prefer to dice it.
Add the spices and olive oil and cook 4 minutes, 100, speed 1.
Now add the tomato paste, tomatoes, lentils and broth or stock. If using homemade broth add an extra ½ tsp of sea salt. Cook 20 minutes, 100, speed 2.
Leave out or replace with a small bulb of fennel.
Leave out or replace with a tablespoon garlic oil.
Leave of the yoghurt or replace with coconut yoghurt.
This is one of my go to meals in the cooler months. Love to receive your thoughts and comments too (if you could also rate this recipe I'd be extra appreciative).