Creamy Kale Sweet Potato Soup
This is a deliciously hearty soup that will warm and truly nourish.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil - or olive oil
- 1 onion/s - diced
- 4 clove/s garlic - crushed
- 5 cm ginger root - finely grated
- 500 g sweet potato/s - diced 2-3cm
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper - to taste
- 1 L stock or broth - of any kind (chicken or vegetable)
- ⅓ cup split red lentils
- ½ lemon/s - juice & zest
- 1 bunch/s kale
- 400 ml canned coconut milk - full fat
- ¼ cup raw cashew nuts - toasted
- fresh coriander leaves - optional, to serve
- Chilli flakes - optional, to serve
In a large pot, melt the coconut oil over a moderate heat and add the onion. Saute for 2 minutes.
Add the garlic and ginger and saute for another minute.
Add the sweet potato, spices and seasoning and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes.
Add the stock or broth and lentils and bring to a rolling simmer for 10-15 mins or until the lentils have softened.
Add the lemon zest, tear the kale from the stems and add to the soup with the coconut milk. Heat for a couple of minutes to wilt the kale.
Stir through the lemon juice. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
Replace the cashews with pumpkin seeds.
Vegan and vegetarian
Replace the bone broth with vegetable stock.
You can absolutely blend this into a smooth soup if you, if your kids prefer.
Love this hearty soup? Let me know in the comments below.