Moroccan Carrot Salad
This fresh, delicious Moroccan Carrot Salad is sure to please a crowd (or just your family). Kids really love the sweetness of this carrot dish.
- 4 carrot/s (large) peeled and grated
- 40 g flaked almonds (½ cup) or sunflower seeds or pepitas (or a mixture)
- 20 g currants -sultanas or raisins (optional) (2 tbsp)
- 1 red onion/s (small) halved and sliced or 4 spring onions, white part finely sliced
- 1 red capsicum/s -thinly sliced
- ½ bunch/s fresh coriander leaves -or parsley or mint leaves (or a mixture), leaves picked
- 30 ml olive oil -extra virgin (2 tbsp)
- 1 lime/s -juice (zest optional)
- 5 g coconut sugar or rapadura (1 tsp)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper -to taste
- ¼ tsp ground ginger (optional)
- Chilli flakes -to taste (optional)
Lightly toast the nuts and/or seeds under a slow grill (watch carefully so as not to burn). Mix all salad ingredients together in a serving bowl.
Add all of the dressing ingredients to a small jar, make sure the lid is on tightly and shake well to combine. Toss the dressing through the salad just prior to serving.
Use stevia or rice malt syrup as a sweetener in the dressing (to replace the rapadura or coconut sugar) and omit the dried fruit.
Omit the nuts and just use seeds.
Replace the onion with 5 thinly sliced radish.
Omit the dried fruit and replace the sugar with rice malt syrup.
Add a small peeled and grated beetroot to this salad for more nutrition and extra deliciousness.
Finely chop the coriander, parsley or mint leaves (or omit). A grated apple may help fussy eaters enjoy this salad even more.
Make a meal of it
Add some grilled meat, boiled or poached eggs or tempeh. Feta or goat cheese works well too!
For lots more sides and salad inspo, take a look at my hugely popular ebook ˜Well Nourished Sides and Salads’- where vegetables become the hero of the dish! It’s great value at just $9.95, click HERE to take a look.
I'd love to receive your feedback and comments. Please post your comments below!