This delicious Cacao Rough is the most satisfying chocolate treat. It is easy to make and the most delicious raw chocolate slice I have ever tried.
Servings: 20 squares
- 100 g almond meal (1 heaped cup)
- 30 g cacao (¼ cup) unsweetened Dutch process or raw
- 85 g rice malt syrup, honey or maple syrup (¼ cup)
- 50 g shredded coconut (1 cup)
- 100 g coconut oil (½ cup)
- 20 g chia seeds (¼ cup) optional
- 1 tbsp vanilla -powder, extract or essence
- 1 tbsp cacao nibs - add a nice crunch
- Pinch sea salt -optional but I quite like a sweet and salty taste
In a food processor combine on low speed (Thermomix speed 4) the almond meal, sweetener, coconut, coconut oil, chia seeds, cocoa and vanilla until just combined (Thermomix 5 seconds). You can also mix by hand, just make sure the coconut oil is in its liquid form.
Press the mix into a small lined tray, sprinkle with cacao nibs and salt (you may need to press into the mix with the back of a spoon) and place in the freezer to set for 10-15 minutes.
Once set, remove from the tin and chop into little squares.
Add a few drops of peppermint essence for a delicious mint chocolate flavour.
Use hazelnut meal for a chocolate hazelnut slice.
Mix in 1/4 cup of Buckinis (activated buckwheat groats).
Choose rice malt syrup as your sweetener.
Replace the almond meal with toasted and ground sunflower seeds.
Choose rice malt or maple syrup as your sweetener.
Replace the cacao with carob powder.
These must be kept chilled or they will melt on a warm day. I often double this recipe to make a bigger batch (trust me, you'll be wanting more)!
I LOVE these - how about you? Post a comment or rate this recipe below. For 10 more Guilt-free Chocolate recipes, subscribe to my FREE newsletter.