Asian Mango Salad
This delicious, zesty Asian Mango Salad is one of my favourites. It's bursting with flavour and so very nourishing.
- 1 mango/s (green or regular), julienned
- 1 red capsicum/s -thinly sliced
- 1 red onion/s -small or a bunch of spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 wombok cabbage -or Asian style cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 bunch/s fresh mint leaves -or Vietnamese mint, leaves picked
- 1 bunch/s fresh coriander leaves -leaves picked
- 75 g raw cashew nuts (1 cup) lightly toasted
- 2 kaffir lime leaves -thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 red chilli/s -sliced (optional)
- 2 tbsp fried shallots -to finish
- 1 lime/s -juice and zest
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1-2 tbsp rice malt syrup (or the sweetener of your choice)
Simply combine all of the salad ingredients in a salad bowl.
Combine all of the dressing ingredients well (shaking together in a little jar is easiest)- taste it and make sure you are happy with the balance between the sweet / salty / sour flavours. If it is too sour you may like to add a little more fish sauce (saltiness) or sweetener.
Dress and toss the salad just prior to serving.
Garnish with the shallots/ optional chilli.
Replace the cashews with toasted sunflower seeds.
Make a meal of it
Add grilled fish, chicken or pork, or a can of tuna. Boiled egg, grilled tofu or tempeh are good choices for vegetarians.
Vegan and seafood-free
Replace the fish sauce with sea salt to taste.
Simply omit the onion/spring onion/fried shallots.
Can't source mango
This is also lovely with julienne apple.
I love this salad - do you? I'd love to receive your feedback in the comments below.