I love a good fritter and this is one of my absolute favourites. It’s fast and easy to make and is absolutely delicious, perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner! Leftovers are also great for the lunchbox.
Although vegetarian, this is one protein-rich fritter! Zucchini is a high-fibre vegetable containing a decent amount of potassium and vitamin C. The mint is a powerful antioxidant and a great digestive herb.
Take a look at the variations (below the main recipe) for suggestions to alter the recipe to suit many specific dietary requirements.
If you’re looking to save money across pantry items such as nuts, seeds, besan flour and meals, I personally shop at The Wholefood Collective – great whole foods at heavily discounted prices (all home delivered), click HERE to take a look.
Zucchini, Mint and Haloumi Fritters
- 500 g zucchini/s -grated, moisture wrung from it
- 1 red onion/s -finely chopped
- 1 clove/s garlic -crushed
- ¼ bunch fresh mint leaves -picked off the stems and finely chopped
- 180 g haloumi -crumbled
- 1 lemon/s -zest
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- 3 free-range or organic egg/s -whisked a little
- 50 g besan flour (chickpea flour) see alternatives below
- Combine the zucchini, onion, garlic, mint and haloumi together in a large mixing bowl or food processor.
- Add the zest, salt, pepper, eggs and mix to combine.
- Lastly add the flour and mix well. he mixture should have the consistency of a pancake batter so add more flour if you feel it's necessary.
- Add a little ghee or butter to a fry pan and heat over a moderate heat. Add the batter (approx. heaped tablespoon) and cook until brown, carefully flipping.
- Chop the zucchini, 5 seconds, speed 5. Wring out the moisture well and set aside.
- Add garlic to the bowl, chop 3 seconds, speed 6. Add the onion, chop 5 seconds, speed 5.
- Add the mint leaves, chop 5 seconds, speed 5.
- Now chop the haloumi (broken into quarters), 5 seconds, speed 5.
- Add the zucchini back into the bowl and the rest of the ingredients. Blend, scraping the sides, 10 seconds, speed 4.
- With a leafy, green salad.
- Re-heat under a low grill or in a sandwich press. The are also great cold.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Can also be frozen.