These Hazelnut Chai Spice Cookies are a very delicious gluten free, dairy free, grain free, egg free, fructose free and guilt-free treat. They only take minutes to make and are the perfect after school snack or weekend treat for the kids.
Well, firstly hazelnuts are a rich source of protein, essential fats, and fibre. They also contain antioxidants and many minerals. The coconut oil is so very nourishing. You can find out more about its amazing health benefits here. The cinnamon stabilises blood sugar levels for a sustained release of energy. The ginger and cardamon assist digestion.
Take a look at the variations (below the main recipe) for suggestions to alter the recipe to suit your specific dietary requirements.
If you’re looking to save money across pantry items such as nuts, seeds, flours and meals, I personally shop at The Wholefood Collective – great whole foods at heavily discounted prices (all home delivered), click HERE to take a look.
The chai and hazelnut flavours in this cookies are a match made in heaven. They are easy to make and really delicious!
- 150 grams (1¼ firmly packed cups) hazelnut meal
- 55 grams (¼ cups) virgin coconut oil, (melted if solid)
- 50-85 grams (¼ cup approx) brown rice syrup or raw honey (taste the batter and alter the sweetness to taste)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1 teaspoon cardamon, ground
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 tablespoon tea or water
- Preheat your oven to 150℃.
- In a mixing bowl or food processor, combine all of the ingredients above until well combined (Thermomix 5-10 seconds, speed 5).
- Roll tablespoons of the mix in your hands and place them onto a tray lined with baking paper.
- Flatten with the back of the fork. Sprinkle a little extra cinnamon on top (optional).
- Bake for 15 minutes or until starting to brown on top.
In an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.
Use the brown rice syrup, not honey.
Add cacao nibs or a piece of dark chocolate. SO yum!
No hazelnut meal?
You can use almond meal instead.
Replace with macadamia nut oil.
I love these cookies, I hope you do to? As always I'd love your feedback. Please post a comment or rate this recipe below.